Information for carers,families and friends of people with severe dementia

zonkjonk

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Christine,
I know that some people dont want to know (I have been reading many posts) but I found this to be very informative
I have always been scared of the unknown, and have spent hours trawling the net looking a way to save my mum,(A futile exercise, of course)and that is how I found this publication
But I feel for me, and maybe others, to know what to expect makes it that tiniest little bit easier to cope, when tough decisions have to be made (and I know you have made them)
Kind regards,
Jo
How is Peter these days?

117katie

I said it before, zonkjonk, and I say it again - that is one of the best booklets I have ever read.

It makes me wish I had been a £10 POM back in the days when such a thing was still possible!!

Many thanks again.

KATIE

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Katie
Did you mean that you wished you had gone to Australia on the £10 passage scheme?
They are advertising again for people to emigrate to Australia.
Big ad on TV.
Don't know the costs or details.
Norman

117katie

Yep, Norman, that's exactly what I was meaning.

There was a programme on BBC last Saturday - Timewatch - called "Ten Pound Poms". Did you see it? You can watch it again via the BBC iplayer, I think, but only till the end of today.

I'm still in touch by email mostly, and a meeting-up in UK last year, with an almost-adopted-cousin (well, he wasn't adopted; and he isn't my cousin! Just feels like it.) who was one of the Ten Pound Poms - and he's still there.

Bet it would cost more than a tenner today, all these years on. Temptation is there, though!

Katie

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Jo,

Just to answer your orginal question, yes.
I'm just working out how to do this as we may be best providing a link.

If it is OK with you I may start up a new thread with a link to the document and then close the thread. Then make it a sticky of course. It will just make it easier for people to reference if the topic is closed. Is that OK with you?

And many thanks for the suggestion.

Kind Regards
Craig

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Katie
I did see the programme.
I have a cousin in OZ, they went out many years ago.
last year they came to the UK for their 50th anniversary,her husband died whilst here.
She is coming over again this year,and wants me to go back with her.
I am afraid it is too late for me now.
Norman

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Hi Christine,
I know that some people dont want to know (I have been reading many posts) but I found this to be very informative
I have always been scared of the unknown, and have spent hours trawling the net looking a way to save my mum,(A futile exercise, of course)and that is how I found this publication
But I feel for me, and maybe others, to know what to expect makes it that tiniest little bit easier to cope, when tough decisions have to be made (and I know you have made them)
Kind regards,

I know what you mean about being scared of the unknown, as that is all I could find on the internet what to expect, but could never find what to expect in those stages, even from that link you left, if medication was given to slow it all down .

Then I found this .

Early Alzheimer's Disease: Slowing the Decline with Medicine

http://www.healthline.com/hgy-transcripts/treating-alzheimers-early

Summary

People with early Alzheimer's disease know that the condition gets progressively worse over time. Learn how some medications help to stabilize symptoms and slow this steady decline.

if anyone knows of other links please let me know.

Last edited:

zonkjonk

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all, thanks Katie for your thanks:eek:
my husband grew up in leeds, but his family emigrated to OZ when he was a young lad.
I didnt know OZ was advertising over there!
what is the ad like?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerryann76