1. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    @Sirena - the part of the brain that is used to remember the words to songs (also things like memorised poems) is different from the part that is used for normal speech and is usually retained for longer. Thats why they can sing word perfect even when speech has gone and why things like Singing for the Brain works for dementia

2. Sirena

Sirena Registered User

Feb 27, 2018
    Female
    Thank you @canary I thought that must be the case. The care home has a Music For Health afternoon once a week and my mother enthusiastically participates, but even if there is background music playing she picks up the thread and starts quietly singing along. I wonder if she could do poems!

3. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    My mum could. When she was in the last weeks of her life I got one of her books - The Golden Treasury of Poetry - and read to her from it. Quite often she would say the words along with me.

4. Sirena

Sirena Registered User

Feb 27, 2018
    Female
    What a nice idea, thank you for that.