Info from hospital- how correct is it ?

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Dear All,

Hope you’ve had a half decent Xmas and New Year.

I’ve just come back from being at home for Xmas. Saw dad most days. It was his 90th on Tuesday. Both myself and husband managed to see him that day, which was wonderful. He’s shuffling and unstable using a zimmer. He’s had good and bad days mentally, the last 2 weeks, which is to be expected. He’s still hallucinating, but seeing nothing scary at the moment. When I spoke to the nurse tonight she said that he’s been in the lounge chatting and been really good. It sounded like she was talking about a different person or he’s made an amazing recovery. She also said that the Drs feel that he’s unsafe to be home on his own. No care package yet in place. He’s in a step-down ward in preparation for being moved out.

I feel I should be happy, but I’m not. It’s not the first time I’ve been given the wrong info. My worry is that I’ll be forced into a decision about dad moving into a care home rather than at going home, which he wants. Can they force me to put him in a home since I’ve got POA & POW? I also feel they’ll be sneaky since I’m not near enough to visit and not able to get back before Easter, due to work. He’s been in hospital 10 weeks now .

Thanks for listening. I’m probably just worrying for no reason.

Last edited:

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @garfield3 , I'm glad you got to see your dad over Christmas. he sounds as though he is in a much better place, both in the sense of where he is and his own well-being than he was a few weeks ago.
He may want to go home, but do you think he'd manage to be at home with just a few care visits a day? No one wants to go into a care home, but sometimes it is the best option. Hopefully there will be a best interests meeting with the doctors, social worker and you (by zoom?) to work out what will be the best option for him.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Hi @garfield3 , I'm glad you got to see your dad over Christmas. he sounds as though he is in a much better place, both in the sense of where he is and his own well-being than he was a few weeks ago.
He may want to go home, but do you think he'd manage to be at home with just a few care visits a day? No one wants to go into a care home, but sometimes it is the best option. Hopefully there will be a best interests meeting with the doctors, social worker and you (by zoom?) to work out what will be the best option for him.
Thanks for your reply. The only way he’d managed to be at home will be with both my husband and me there . This won’t be happening till June due to work commitments .

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
He wont be able to stay in the hospital until June.
What do you see happening until then?
Yes, I agree and am surprised they’ve ”let” him stay in hospital this long. Probably, go into a home till we get the house sorted for him to come back. Maybe, I’m just living a lie and should accept he’s just going into a home.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
In six months time he could have deteriorated quite a bit and it would be even more difficult for you to look after him at home. Sadly he is only going to get worse, not stay static just because you are caring for him.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
In six months time he could have deteriorated quite a bit and it would be even more difficult for you to look after him at home. Sadly he is only going to get worse, not stay static just because you are caring for him.
Yes. Unfortunately, I know what’s coming since I went through it with mum.