Infection

janew

Mar 28, 2005
I have been having a dreadful week with my mum (worse than usual). She has been very confused, unsteady on her feet, leaning to one side, incontinence at night to name just a few.

It has turned out to be a water infection - she really must have been in pain but unable to let me know what was wrong. I had one a few weeks ago and was in agony so it must be 10 times worse for someone with Altzheimers who does not know what is wrong.

She has been on a course of anti-biotics and am waiting now for it to kick in along with plenty of fluids. Tonight has been pretty bad, she has been very difficult and I am hoping by now she is settling down. At least in the future I will be able to look out for the signs and sort it out quickly.

Its not easy for any of us but this site is wonderful and although I am not very good at putting words down, I am always on the sight reading the posts of people who can put it better than I can.

Jane

alex

Apr 10, 2006
janew said:
I have been having a dreadful week with my mum (worse than usual). She has been very confused, unsteady on her feet, leaning to one side, incontinence at night to name just a few.

It has turned out to be a water infection - she really must have been in pain but unable to let me know what was wrong. I had one a few weeks ago and was in agony so it must be 10 times worse for someone with Altzheimers who does not know what is wrong.

She has been on a course of anti-biotics and am waiting now for it to kick in along with plenty of fluids. Tonight has been pretty bad, she has been very difficult and I am hoping by now she is settling down. At least in the future I will be able to look out for the signs and sort it out quickly.

Its not easy for any of us but this site is wonderful and although I am not very good at putting words down, I am always on the sight reading the posts of people who can put it better than I can.

Jane

Hi Jane
I'm fairly new to this site myself, but i do know how you feel.

My partner has Brain Damage following a long period in intensive care and also has vascular dementia. He can't tell us when he is in pain (which is most of the time) he seems to have some sort of infection most of the time.

A few weeks ago he developed terrible toothache, as he is still in hospital i kept asking the nurses and doctors if they would get a dentist. After 3 days of asking they told us they were bringing in a community dentist (as he is too ill to be moved from his ward) however, the earliest they could arrange was 12 days!!!!, in the end i spent a full day trying to get a private dentist who would travel miles, and spend half an hour trying to get parked (not an easy task!) eventually i managed to find one (at great cost of course) i just could not bear to think of him in such pain, its as if it can't be that important if he's not complaining about it!

Its best to keep an eye on things and if you suspect there might be an infection
(high temp/off food etc,) ask the GP to run some tests.

Kind regards
Alex

janew

Mar 28, 2005
Alex,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I will be certainly be keeping an eye on her, if there is anything different.

I am very lucky, that the Day Centre have been very understanding and said they would keep and eye open and it was only brought to light when a Staff Member at the Nursing Home where she goes suggested it, as I would still be thinking it was just part of the course.

I hope your partner is feeling better. It's awful to see them in so much pain and us not been able to do anything about it.

Take Care
Jane

Shakey1961a

Nov 7, 2004
Southport
Uti

Welcome to the world of UTI's They really do knock the elderly off their feet, more so when they've got Alzheimers.

I think of it as a blessing as it's something that can be cleared up and your loved one will be back to some semblence of normality again very soon.

Also another one to look out for is constipation. That can send them doo-lally as well.