Individual needs assessment and respite

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
Can somebody please explain what an Individual needs assessment is and why it seems so important to have one done?

My dad is currently in respite and my mum home alone and they both have dementia, my dad has Alzheimer's. The Mental Health Unit recommended the respite and arranged it and it was meant to be for two weeks only but now they say they want to involve social services to do the assessments for both mum and dad and compile a care package leaving dad in respite.

There's been so much going on in the past 3 weeks that my brain is frazzled but before this happened we arranged carers to start coming in twice a day which is a breakthrough as mum had always been opposed. We didn't get chance to start this before dad was whisked off (I was on a 5 day break)and as a family we want dad back home after the two weeks to see if mum and dad can cope with the new regime with the carers popping in.

Dad will be self funding I'm sure as he is twice over the threshold. Do we have to wait for the assessment before he goes home? Can they keep him in the respite care home if we don't want him to be kept there?. Mum and dad are asking for each other but they were separated because there was some angst between them that a professional witnessed but that weve coped with for at least 18 months. I feel we've suddenly lost control even though I've wanted help for so long. Hopefully someone can answer my questions? Thanks

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hello Snowy, I can understand that you feel like you have lost all control. A needs assessment shoud be just that...an assessment of a person's needs so that the right care package is put into place to keep things on an even keel. It does sound like Dad and Mum needed a break from each other,, but it may be that it can and will only be temporary, and with the right support in place things will improve.
There ought to be a financial assessment too, Dad's finances will be looked at but Mum's are not included, so any savings must be noted as 50/50 likewise, if they have a house it shouldl be not counted as it is Mum's home too.
Has anyone claimed Attendance Allowance on behalf of your Dad,( and Mum too if she needs help) as he should be entitled to this and it will help to pay for carers. It is needs tested but not means tested. Has anyone been granted POA ? Has anyone taken Mum to visit Dad while he is in respite?

I think you need to speak with the CH manager and the Social Workers and find out exactly when the assessment is to be held so that you and Mum can be involved too.

Good Luck.

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
Thanks Cragmaid

We've got LPA for both mum and dad together with AA and sorted their council tax as we've been dealing with this for some time now. Its just that things have escalated so much in the past 4 weeks and things are happening that we haven't dealt with before. I understand now what an Individual needs assessment is and I guess its a good idea because although I know mum and dad are above the financial threshold both individually I'm wondering if mum also has nursing needs(it was suggested recently that she go into a nursing home for respite)and that through this INA we may find out if she will be eligible for any money from the LPA to help us deal with this. Am I right or clutching at straws? Can anyone tell me who pays for dad's current respite? Will the involvement of SS determine this and can anyone tell me how long these assessments take? I've begun to realise its what has to be done but I just wish it had been done before when dad was at home. I've also realised that I need to listen to the professionals and their advice. I know I'm defensive but its so hard isn't it when its your parents lives your talking about?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonathan95