Indigestion on nursing home food!

Marmotta838

Apr 16, 2016
Australia
Hi All,

I have never suffered from indigestion much but whenever I join my Mother in eating a meal there, I get terrible heartburn and indigestion. It worries me a little as I wonder what they do to the food - any ideas?

pippop1

Apr 8, 2013
Hi All,

I have never suffered from indigestion much but whenever I join my Mother in eating a meal there, I get terrible heartburn and indigestion. It worries me a little as I wonder what they do to the food - any ideas?

Don't shoot me down in flames for saying so, but could it a symptom of stress from being with your Mother?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Maybe it has more to do with how you are feeling when you are in the home than the food itself.
Tension and stress, even if the person concerned is not aware of it at the time, can have a significant effect on the digestive system, sometimes seriously.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I suffer terribly from indigestion/reflux and I have to be very careful what I eat for example toasted wholemeal bread, the green skin of a cucumber, hard dairy cheese products, pork products - especially high fat content. A few other things too.

Next time you visit, don't eat anything see if you still have the indigestion - then you can put it down to stress! Or take your own packed lunch!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I suffer terribly from indigestion/reflux and I have to be very careful what I eat for example toasted wholemeal bread, the green skin of a cucumber, hard dairy cheese products, pork products - especially high fat content. A few other things too.

Next time you visit, don't eat anything see if you still have the indigestion - then you can put it down to stress! Or take your own packed lunch!

Well, if she doesn't eat, she won't have the indigestion.
It's the eating while stressed which will cause the indigestion!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Well, if she doesn't eat, she won't have the indigestion.
It's the eating while stressed which will cause the indigestion!

Yes, but Marmotta thinks it maybe the food served in the care home?

aquarian

Jan 14, 2016
Nursing home care

My mum is in a nursing home and I have to say she is well looked after. However, with the best will in the world the cares do not have time to give everyone a great deal of attention. One of us in our family visits every day and we take mum for outings. But I worry about the hours when she is alone. She tells me she is frightened but can't verbalise what she is frightened of. Has anyone else come across this?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
My mum is in a nursing home and I have to say she is well looked after. However, with the best will in the world the cares do not have time to give everyone a great deal of attention. One of us in our family visits every day and we take mum for outings. But I worry about the hours when she is alone. She tells me she is frightened but can't verbalise what she is frightened of. Has anyone else come across this?

Can she not sit on a communal area? lounge type room? Presumably she eats in the dining room 3 times a day.

Don't forget we all need down time too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tinydaffodil