Independent living arrangement

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Hi TP friends,
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to look at a new living situation. An area around the new geriatric hospital is being turned into a community. The old hospital is being turned into flats. There will be flats which you buy into.... a fee to join the verian, and pay a large some down and get shares into the program. The costs are appropriate. It is a mixed community not just the elderly. The building will devote 22 of its apartments to internationals over 50 years of age, English speaking and all documents, notifications and informationals will be in English. 12 of the units are already gone and it has only been one month. There will be many bugs and things to work out for to be on the creation of such an organization. And the geriatric Alzheimer's unit is next door, the Alzheimers associaiton has its offices at the hospital and there is a children's daycare and an Alzheimer's daycare, a professional laundry, shopping, green areas. It really has many advantages for us. The disadvantage is the apartments are incredibility small, if you are a couple you can have a two bedroom (although currently all the 2 bedrooms are taken away) and if you are single you can only have a one bedroom. If your partner moves on to other care (or passes) you are expected to move into a smaller flat. There are extra apartments which can be rented for visiting friends and relatives. Also, rooms for entertaining with a kitchen for up to 40 guests or conference rooms and a big room for lectures or whatever. There is a communal space for the residents across from a self serving laundry. (there are laundrys on each floor.
https://www.wohnenplusbasel.ch/westfeld/
Large terraces on each floor (8 floors) are communal.
There are drawbacks for me. I would have to move Kantons and pay higher taxation.It is the city not the countryside, and it not the most beautiful part of the city. the apartments will not be finished until 2021.But it is very convenient...public access to transportation on the doorstep.
But I am sad...it is like I am just too young to be considering all of this. I am really not ready for it emotionally. But I feel pressure as the apartments are going quickly. I often feel I have forfeited my life to this Alzheimers ...and for better and for worse. My dear friend and geriatric physician (she worked at the Basel memory clinic while living here)just happens to be in town visiting from the USA. So, she went with me to talk about the project and of course, she is so experienced as there are many such places in the USA she had lots of good questions, about the project.
After we met with them, she said well, this sounds great you should consider joining up or at least getting on a waiting list. Then she told me that she did not really believe I would be caring for Nick at home in 3 years time. She feels that his decline will now increase rapidly and I will have to face whether caring for him at home will really be an option.
In our home, I have a bedroom and a bath, on a separate floor. My plan was always to have someone live in to help me care for Nick in the end years of his illness. But I now see that I am tired too, and I do not want to end up being a burden to the children and this seems like an option. But I am full of fear and doubt. And sadness. I love my house and the beautiful peaceful garden I have created, spectacular views of the Los Vosages in France, the Schwarzwald of Germany and directly below us the Rhein River. and its access to beautiful walking and the countryside. But it is a totally impractical house ..68 steps to the front door and 3 flights up the kitchen and living room. (Nick found this house and made the decision to move in here. We thought it was short term but we have stayed because I could not face moving) So, in ten years I would have to act anyway and get out I fear as the steps are difficult, but at the same time the steps are an excellent fitness program. Ha!Ha!

I have managed to live with this disease, by listening to this dear friend and geriatric physician over the many years, she has provided good direction and advice. She told me I must always be one to steps ahead of the situation, if I am to survive. I have heeded that advice, creating a team of carers early on who come and help me with Nick....walking, swimming, gardening , weekly housekeeping help. Always people coming and going. He is used to it and does not reject even new faces. I have managed the situation by living ONE DAY at a Time, but taking necessary steps along the way. I do have a choice, I could go with my original plan and just stay put.....or put my name on a waiting list and just see where it goes. I guess I would have nothing to lose....but living space???

This is the place that I work thru my thoughts and understanding of my options. thank you all for being patient with me as I weigh my options.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Put your name on the waiting list. You don’t have to take it up when the vacancy arises but if you need it you will be so relieved.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I can understand both the attraction and the impracticalities of where you are now. I live in the countryside and would find it very difficult returning to living in a town.

The apartments sound a good idea, but you need something flexible - what would happen if you were in an apartment and Nick had to go into a care home? Presumably there would be high demand so it would be easy to sell on?

Would it be like with a UK care home, you get to the top of the list and then decide if you accept, and if not you just stay on the list for next time? If so, it sounds like a good option. But if you have to commit to moving there well in advance, less good. You need to be able to keep your options open because the illness is so unpredictable.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
You don't sound as if you are convinced that it would be right for you in the long term when you may not have Nick living with you.

So why not look at other options? I agree that all those steps at your home sound a bit daunting looking forward and you don't need a major illness for that to be a huge problem. A sprained ankle would be a big hassle for you.

My suggestion would be to definitely put your name on the waiting list. None of us can predict what our needs are going to be in the future but couldn't you be looking around somewhere in your current area for something smaller and more suitable?

Our house is quite small, one floor and has a small garden at the front and a large courtyard at the back. We have been here eleven years, I love it and it is perfect. I think once you get your head around the idea of a move that it will be important to find something that will suit you.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I can understand your reasoning and your hesitation.

We live in a house with difficult stairs and nowhere for a bed to be put downstairs. OH is already having mobility problems and son has suggested that we move to a bungalow near him. It seems a sensible thing to do and it would be nice to see more of the grandchildren, but I just couldnt cope with buying, selling, packing, disposing of excess stuff and finally moving - not on top of everything else.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I can’t give you advice @PalSal but I can say that we had to face this moving on situation two years ago and we did it. My husband absolutely loved his glorious home and especially the garden, his pride and joy where all our grandchildren romped and learned about pond life and abseiling down the steep banks. It was terrible but we had to do it while he was still able and I did all the paperwork. Leave it too late and it’s worse. It was made easier for us because we had a two bedroom two bathroom duplex to move to which we had bought for the purpose in a place we knew. You are much younger which makes it a harder decision but I have seen others leave it too late and the consequences are bad. You have a cushion of a year or two so I wish you strength while you ponder.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Sounds interesting and if viable and certainly put your name on list while you decide.
Co housing has many advantages. What jumped out at me was you found your last move difficult, it could be even harder in the future so this would give you time to prune and choose what really matters to you.
I have taken photos of what once mattered to me.
So do not decide but get your name down while you do. Good fortune xxx