Independent advocate. Anyone with experience of this?

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Pinkys, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Pinkys

Pinkys Registered User

Nov 13, 2014
    South of England
    My MiL is in care. She has dementia. A Best Interest Assessment has very recently said she is best placed where she is. A mental Capacity Assesssment has said she does not have capacity. However, because she says (occasionally , less and less often and without conviction) that she wants to go home, SW has said there needs to be a court appointed deputy to represent her wishes.
    Does anyone have experience of this process and what happens next?

2. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    I'm not sure if the SW mispoke or what, but a court appointed Deputy would only be appointed to deal with financial matters. What needs to happen is there should be a Dols authorization.

See this fact sheet http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=1327

It would be unusual for an IMCA to be appointed when there is family that can fulfill that role.

3. AlsoConfused

AlsoConfused Registered User

Sep 17, 2010
    I'm surprised too. My Mum had a Best interests meeting after it had been established no capacity to take decisions for herself. Once the medical professionals and ourselves were in agreement over where Mum should live in the future (nursing home, not own home) we started planning to achieve that end.

4. Pinkys

Pinkys Registered User

Nov 13, 2014
    South of England
    Ok. It is clear we have either got the wrong end of a stick or two, or this is a bit unusual.

I will keep you posted, once I am sure what is going on, and let you all know.