independant living fund

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
we have been made an offer from this fund that is supposed to help top up the direct payments for to get more care help. They have offered 21hrs above the direct payments 10hrs. I have a problem as they are charging £83.59 a week i also have to pay for respite. I don't think i will now have enough money to eat if i got ahead with it. As none of the household costs have been taken into concideration with the means tested. Why do the give benifits? They only take it back of you. Are we not supposed to life or have a life as well?Us carers are also saving the government. Something is wrong. I don't think i can afford to get the help i've been offered from this. I was going for a PA as well. And my husband has got worse since the assesment was done for it, at times he cannot manage the stairs so i need help now.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This funding seems so unfair and impossible to work out. I`m afraid I`m burying my head in the sand, for the present, but from the sound of things it looks as if I`m in for a shock, when our time comes.

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
just worked all our bills out and what we need to live off , cant afford the ILF costs. I don't understand how we were assessed to pay £32 a week with the Direct Payments and now £83.59 with the ILF and they also have the cheek to enclose a don't get into Dept leaflet. They seem to forget the extra costs we have. My husband fell last night and broke his glasses thats 2 pairs broken now. The local council will now have to up the Direct Payments. I am giving them no choice. The ILF is a Government system. I don't understand how they know how much you need to live of as everyone is different. (How much do they need to run their homes? and they get paid) Carers have legal rights yet with the costs these rights can't take place.
Social Worker is going to be phoned and told the ILF is a scam. The only way we can go ahead with this is for not to get taxed and get the council tax free. £334.36 a month i've NEVER had a bill as much as this even the mortgage was half and we were working !!!!