increasing confsing phone calls - day & night

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I'm interested in what you say here about POA because we have this over my mother's affairs yet when i called her phone supplier to change the phone package that is in her name but which I pay, they said my mother would have to agree to my making the changes, and I would need to 'put her on' first to confirm she was happy to do so. That cannot be right, surely?

I had a similar problem with my partner's private pension company and they sent a from for her to sign authorising me to represent her. Would your mum's phone company accept that, Paul.
Welcome to the forums too.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I'm interested in what you say here about POA because we have this over my mother's affairs yet when i called her phone supplier to change the phone package that is in her name but which I pay, they said my mother would have to agree to my making the changes, and I would need to 'put her on' first to confirm she was happy to do so. That cannot be right, surely?

Unless the phone company have seen a copy of the POA then it would be usual procedure to ask to speak to the account holder first. This happened when I called BT to change Mum's phone package. I manage Mum's BT account on-line but a change to her package needed a call to the company so I explained that she has dementia and they just asked her a few simple questions over the phone then were happy to continue speaking to me about the changes. I'm sure that if you spoke to the phone provider there would be a way that they could update your Mum's account details to show you as the designated person to speak to and let you know whether there is a form to fill in or whether they would need to see a copy of the POA.

Vitesse

Oct 26, 2016
Our phone and internet package has always been in my husbands name with me as an authorised user. He has had hearing aids for years and found the phone difficult, so I would call for him. The other day, I needed to upgrade our package and the phone company couldn’t do that without his agreement. I explained he couldn’t hear and had dementia (so wished them luck with that call) and agreed to email them the authorised POA. They confirmed the same day that I could now arrange everything with them. Can I suggest you go back to them and tell them you need to send them the POA, and that your mother can’t contact them because of her illness.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Unless you have provided a certified copy of POA to these companies, then asking the account holder to agree over the phone is normal practice. My mother-in-law was deaf and couldn't have provided any meaningful responses to call centres etc . Once the various telephone companies, British Gas etc had a certified copy, any correspondence or contact came through me.

Ruth1974

Dec 26, 2018
Did that continue to be effective?

Sort of.
He then went through a phase of going door to door in the neighbourhood looking for me. I don't know if the absence of the phone triggered this or not but we have (finally) been given anti psychotic medication and he is becoming less frightened and anxious. The phone is still hidden though because i was on the verge of cracking up!

Ruth1974

Dec 26, 2018
Our phone and internet package has always been in my husbands name with me as an authorised user. He has had hearing aids for years and found the phone difficult, so I would call for him. The other day, I needed to upgrade our package and the phone company couldn’t do that without his agreement. I explained he couldn’t hear and had dementia (so wished them luck with that call) and agreed to email them the authorised POA. They confirmed the same day that I could now arrange everything with them. Can I suggest you go back to them and tell them you need to send them the POA, and that your mother can’t contact them because of her illness.
Yes, Sky were really helpful with me they gave me a named person to talk to and everything. They were great

Ruth1974

Dec 26, 2018
Her contract even if you pay it

PaulEd

Feb 2, 2020
Worcestershire
Unless you have provided a certified copy of POA to these companies, then asking the account holder to agree over the phone is normal practice. My mother-in-law was deaf and couldn't have provided any meaningful responses to call centres etc . Once the various telephone companies, British Gas etc had a certified copy, any correspondence or contact came through me.
Thank you. Very helpful and that is what I shall do. But as an aside when i approached the solicitor or set up the POA about doing getting copies, she said she would need to contact my mother beforehand. Again, that is no problem as she is still able to understand this. But is the contact for courtesy or because the solicitor has to?

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
The Banjoman’s solicitor sent everything to me and dealt with me during the whole process and after the LPA’s were in place, including my requests for copies. He was only sent the letters telling him when the LPAs were registered .

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Thank you. Very helpful and that is what I shall do. But as an aside when i approached the solicitor or set up the POA about doing getting copies, she said she would need to contact my mother beforehand. Again, that is no problem as she is still able to understand this. But is the contact for courtesy or because the solicitor has to?
I'm not sure if the solicitor has to. I set up POA originally for my mother-in-law without a solicitor. When I went to a solicitor to get certified copies, he didn't ask about my mother-in-law's view, just stamped and signed them

PaulEd

Feb 2, 2020
Worcestershire
I'm not sure if the solicitor has to. I set up POA originally for my mother-iny-law without a solicitor. When I went to a solicitor to get certified copies, he didn't ask about my mother-in-law's view, just stamped and signed them
Thank you. Yes, i think what you're saying is logical. I called the solicitor 3 times last week and they didn't return my call.

Ruth1974

Dec 26, 2018
That is correct, but as we have POA that is supposed to allow us to manage her affairs even if she is not paying for the contract ie if we find a better service we want to pay for
Has the POA been enacted?

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018

It depends how it's been set up. My mother arranged her POA a few years pre-dementia, and the original was left with her solicitor. When I wanted to start using it, the solicitor said he would need her to confirm she wanted me to do so. He said she could either call or write to him, so I typed a letter for her to sign, and once he'd received it the solicitor then provided all the copies I needed. £25 a copy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513