Increase dose of memantine

Dragonfly1

Jan 1, 2020
I haven’t posted for a good few weeks because dads infections cleared up and his medication seemed to be working. Just recently though dads Memantine was increased from 10mg to 15mg. Tonight mum rang to say dad had literally escaped running out through the garage door. He has never tried anything like this before although he has tried to leave the house. He has always been coaxed back in. Tonight my sister walked the streets until she found him. She brought him home but he didn’t recognise mum or my sister or his home come to that. I spoke to him on the phone and he was very confused and would not accept he was in his house. This was at 9.30pm. He admitted being very tired but wouldn’t go to bed. I am very worried about mum who is looking after him and my sister too who is staying with mum and dad while I have my 2 weeks off and then I return to do my 2 week stint with mum and dad. Do you think it could be the medication? I’m very worried about the impact tonight has had on everyone. I feel so helpless as in 2.5 hours drive away. X

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
How worrying for you all.

I wonder if your dad might have another infection. I think you (or your mum or sister) should phone the GP today and let them know what has happened. Ask for an urgent check to see if he has an infection and a review of his medication. I think other members have posted in the past about side effects of memantine so it might well be the increase in dosage which has caused this.

Dragonfly1

Jan 1, 2020
Thank you. I rang GP today and they have a training day but will ring tomorrow to take a sample down. I really do appreciate all your support here.

Dragonfly1

Jan 1, 2020
Well I won’t be taking the sample down but making the call. My sister will take it down when she gets in from work. The nurse also spoke to the psychiatrist and has asked us to persevere with the increased dosage. Hopefully everyone at home gets a better nights sleep tonight.