Incontinence

Porter309

Dec 20, 2015
My Mum, 95, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in January 2013. We have coped so far but the last couple of months have seen her have "bathroom accidents". She doesn't remember this happening (and it does only happen infrequently at the moment), but how do I get her to wear some kind of protection? Her carers say I have to arrange this but how???

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi and welcome to TP. I'm glad you found us.

I'm sorry to hear about your mum but you will get lots of help and support here.

You need to contact your GP surgery and ask for a referral to the Continence Clinic or continence nurse. They will assess your mum and arrange for her to have appropriate products. I know people sometimes have a hard time getting exactly what they want from the continence service but you need to startling them. If you're told that the referral might take a while Boots and supermarkets sell Tena products (Boots also have their own brands). You could try some of these out with your mum. Perhaps to start with she would accept the pull up pants type. I know these are harder to get from the continence service though.

There's also a Society Factsheet which might be useful.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=136

Good luck.

Last edited:

charlotte12345

Dec 20, 2015
Ascot, Berks
Hi, I've only just joined, but as my father as already been through this difficult stage, I would get in touch with your mother's GP surgery, who will probably have a Continence Advisor. They are usually nurses who can recommend the best products, and will help in broaching the subject with your mother. If they suggest the use of pads, they are often free and some places will even arrange regular deliveries. Good luck - hope it goes well. Best wishes, Charlotte

Last edited:

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
google your nhs trust with continence service. In some areas you can refer direct, in others the GP has to refer but the Trust site will tell you xx

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
My Mum, 95, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in January 2013. We have coped so far but the last couple of months have seen her have "bathroom accidents". She doesn't remember this happening (and it does only happen infrequently at the moment), but how do I get her to wear some kind of protection? Her carers say I have to arrange this but how???

Continence Nurse via our surgery arranged it all for us. The pads they supply are not the best though and OH has a habit of leaving them in the bathroom on the first overnight visit, so I always buy some absorbent pads for the bed too. These are not cheap, at £10 for 15 sheets, but if you have the money they are worth it to save on laundry.

Best of luck Porter, Nae Sporran

Last edited:

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent

Hi porter I have same problem with dad I had to contact his gp to get a referral for the clinic.. They were brilliant they sent me a large box of samples and I had to try them all to see which worked best with dad it was the pull up pants and I now have a regular delivery and they are good quality ones tena.. Hope that it will be as easy for you.. Before getting this sorted I did try supermarket brands which were nearly as good.. Hope this helps best wishes exhausted 2015 xx

Last edited:

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
My husband wears pads supplied by the continence service, but I also put a disposable bed pad under him when he is in bed. He doesn't move around much in bed, so this pad protects the sheet.
I buy them from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk/ and depending on the size, and how many you buy, they cost as little as around 20p each.

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
My husband wears pads supplied by the continence service, but I also put a disposable bed pad under him when he is in bed. He doesn't move around much in bed, so this pad protects the sheet.
I buy them from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk/ and depending on the size, and how many you buy, they cost as little as around 20p each.

I use puppy training sheets on dad's bed and they work fine and a bit cheaper than incontinence products xx