Incontinence

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
Hi everyone. Mum is 85 and is incontinent with urine. I was wondering is anyone can tell me how to deal with this . She very rarely asks for the loo and usually she already done it!! Do i still ask her or take her to the loo in a regular basis? Or am i wasting my time? She wears tena lady during the day and pads at night. She gets cross with me if i keep asking. I guess her brain isnt telling her that she needs to wee so whats best to do? Any help would b great x

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
Hi everyone. Mum is 85 and is incontinent with urine. I was wondering is anyone can tell me how to deal with this . She very rarely asks for the loo and usually she already done it!! Do i still ask her or take her to the loo in a regular basis? Or am i wasting my time? She wears tena lady during the day and pads at night. She gets cross with me if i keep asking. I guess her brain isnt telling her that she needs to wee so whats best to do? Any help would b great x

can I suggest you take her every 2-3 hrs . my MIl has Vascular dementia and very rarerly goes with out being told . we go about 20 mins after a meal . my MIl wears tena lady all the time .

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi Chelsea girl , as balloo said every 2-3 hours you should take her to the toilet . After every meal is ideal. Is she on any diuretics ? If so she will need to go possibly every hour for the first few hours after taking the medication . Try to invest in the best possible pads/pants you can afford . Ones that have a stay dry core and maximum absorbency and odour control would be perfect . My mum wears pads all the time now , though with regular toileting she is mostly dry during the day . I use baby wipes to keep her clean during day and also baby wash in the morning to ensure all the urine is washed off from the incontinence during the night and have never had any issues with her skin . Best wishes. Lou

little shettie

Nov 10, 2009
Mum is the same and I now buy her the pull up pants as she would remove the pad from her knickers given half the chance! Plus she has less accidents with these. I got rid of her undies and she now wears pants all the time and they are brilliant. The max absorbancy are best and rarely a wet bed. They are expensive and I was buying them but we now have them supplied so if you get onto the gp for a referral to the continence nurse, you should be able to get them free.

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
Hi Chelsea girl , as balloo said every 2-3 hours you should take her to the toilet . After every meal is ideal. Is she on any diuretics ? If so she will need to go possibly every hour for the first few hours after taking the medication . Try to invest in the best possible pads/pants you can afford . Ones that have a stay dry core and maximum absorbency and odour control would be perfect . My mum wears pads all the time now , though with regular toileting she is mostly dry during the day . I use baby wipes to keep her clean during day and also baby wash in the morning to ensure all the urine is washed off from the incontinence during the night and have never had any issues with her skin . Best wishes. Lou
Thank u, she does wear tena lady during the day. The baby wash is a good idea thanx xx

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
Mum is the same and I now buy her the pull up pants as she would remove the pad from her knickers given half the chance! Plus she has less accidents with these. I got rid of her undies and she now wears pants all the time and they are brilliant. The max absorbancy are best and rarely a wet bed. They are expensive and I was buying them but we now have them supplied so if you get onto the gp for a referral to the continence nurse, you should be able to get them free.
We have pads for during the night but shes usually wet in the mornings and we've had 4 wet beds in a week because she refuses to wee at bed time!!