Incontinence?

Jacqui 99

Apr 21, 2011
Kendal
Hi. I've not posted much as Mum has been pretty stable since her diagnosis of Alzheimer's 5 years ago. She still lives in her own house 150yd up the road from me, but with me calling in twice a day, and a carer once a week, and a cleaner/companion twice a week.
She's had some toilet accidents and now uses incontinence pull up pants which she changes herself. Lately though, every time someone calls in we find discarded pyjama pants, ( she spends all day in pyjamas) soiled or wet with urine, and her sheets are often wet. Also the front hem of her pyjama top is often smeared with faeces. She has no memory of what has happened. I'm at a loss as to what to do or how to find out what is causing this. Maybe her pull-ups aren't the right ones ( Depend s/m super)?
I have a phonecall booked with Dr next week in case it's a medical issue, but she seems well so I don't think it's a water infection. Though there is often evidence of diarrhoea.
I wonder if it's just physical coordination, ie not pulling pants up properly, bottowm-wiping with the paper tangled up with pyjama fabric.
Any suggestions for managing this would be most welcome.. ....Or maybe I should carry on just reassuring her and clear up the mess without worrying too much...

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi Jacqui 99. Having 'researched ' lots of incontinence pads for my mum I found the depend ones were only suitable for during the day . The Lille pants seem to be better overnight but to be honest what really worked was the ones that are more nappy like . I know your mum won't want these as they would be difficult for her to put on but I also put a waterproof pant on top and very rarely have any leaks . Could your mum progress to the depend maxi or Lille maxi and put the waterproof pant on top . It's not ideal but would maybe save bed clothes etc getting wet . I'm sorry I'm not able to give you any more advice, other than to say this might be the new norm for your mum . My mum was fully continent until 18 months ago as the disease and old age progress . It's very sad. I wish you the and your mum the best of luck . Lou

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
I'd ask the GP to refer your Mum to the Incontinence Nurse. Not only could she advise how best to deal with these issues (she'll have seen it all I'm sure!) but your Mum would be assessed an almost certainly get free products - the wretched things aren't cheap after all! My Mum gets a bi-monthly supply of one pull-up a day, however she has only had a couple of accidents and mainly wears them 'just in case'. It varies depending on your geographical area but definitely worth investigating and nobody tells you these things - I found out about the service from Talking Point and Mum's GP's receptionist told me it wasn't true! Good job I didn't take no for an answer!

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
I'd ask the GP to refer your Mum to the Incontinence Nurse. Not only could she advise how best to deal with these issues (she'll have seen it all I'm sure!) but your Mum would be assessed an almost certainly get free products - the wretched things aren't cheap after all! My Mum gets a bi-monthly supply of one pull-up a day, however she has only had a couple of accidents and mainly wears them 'just in case'. It varies depending on your geographical area but definitely worth investigating and nobody tells you these things - I found out about the service from Talking Point and Mum's GP's receptionist told me it wasn't true! Good job I didn't take no for an answer!

my MIL has vascular dementia and has lived with us for nearly 3 years ,I have found in the last 6 MONTHS she does not wipe her self properly and also leaks(from bottom) regulary so I have bought pull up incontinent pants for her the ones the Nurse told us about were not as soft we pay £50 for 4 packets delivered from amazon which last about a month but I would rather she ids comfortable and will wear them . I find she cannot wipe herself and I often find tissue inside her pants or stuck to her bottom . I find toilet roll in her bedroom in little squares. I think she needs more help .I am here 24/7 and still find she soils herself as she foregts to go and if I did nit tell her to go she would not bother .

Jacqui 99

Apr 21, 2011
Kendal
Thanks for your replies everyone. I'll take up the suggestion of getting her assessed , and try waterproof over pants.
Baloo, I hope the situation improves for you. I realise mine's not so bad.
It's so great to get this understanding and support. Thanks all xx

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
My mums ok in the day and has tena pads in her normal knickers just in case but nighttime was horrendous until I got the tena super plus pullups which can hold a lot of liquid and work best for her. I pay around £50 a month off ebay. The incontinence service at the hospital would only provide awful nappy type things which didn't stay put and were hopeless so I would rather pay myself for what seems to suit her best. Good luck. Xx

blueboy

Feb 21, 2015
My Mum also wears Tena pants during the day and extra absorbent ones at night. The continenence service offered various different things which just didn't suit so I too pay for them using Mum's Attendance Allowance. Presumably they are considered to expensive to be provided free though they seem to be the best solution for many people and save on a mountain of washing!