Incontinence

Dbarb

May 19, 2014
Bolton
My wife is nearly 64 and was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimers in December 2013. Since then there has been a steady decline but recently we have been experiencing urinary incontinence overnight as well as at least once a day. We have been in touch with our incontinence team, and they have advised the use of Attends pads, as they are the only ones they supply. As my wife tends to take the pads out when she goes to the toilet I had hoped to be able to get some Attends washable pouch pants. However it seems that these have been discontinued, so it's back to the pads. Surely this can't be a unique situation but I'm struggling to find a workable solution, which allows my wife to keep her dignity, but also reduces the amount of washing I find myself having to do now. Any ideas would be very welcome.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
We're on Tena pull-ups. Some are supplied by the continence Service and we are buying in the rest. They are not cheap but resemble ordinary underwear the most. You might also want to look into waterproof mattress, pillow and duvet covers and Kylie sheets which wick away the moisture from the skin and are very comfortable to lie on.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Tena pull ups have helped mum, started with the lighter ones, not bulky and if you want, a pair of knickers will go over these. Have you tried reminding her to go to the loo every hour or so?

Dbarb

May 19, 2014
Bolton
Tena pull ups have helped mum, started with the lighter ones, not bulky and if you want, a pair of knickers will go over these. Have you tried reminding her to go to the loo every hour or so?

Yes Tin, but like most things you can take the horse to water........ Often she'll head to the toilet and then forget where or why she's going. We have tried the Tena pull ups but she prefers her own briefs but your comments are helpful, as at least we seem to be on the right route.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Tell her the doctor has said she needs to wear the pull ups. Then hide the others...

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
My wife is nearly 64 and was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimers in December 2013. Since then there has been a steady decline but recently we have been experiencing urinary incontinence overnight as well as at least once a day. We have been in touch with our incontinence team, and they have advised the use of Attends pads, as they are the only ones they supply. As my wife tends to take the pads out when she goes to the toilet I had hoped to be able to get some Attends washable pouch pants. However it seems that these have been discontinued, so it's back to the pads. Surely this can't be a unique situation but I'm struggling to find a workable solution, which allows my wife to keep her dignity, but also reduces the amount of washing I find myself having to do now. Any ideas would be very welcome.

we buy tena pants for my MIL works out £60 a month as still waiting for incontencience team and any way they wanted me to measure her intake and how much pea she was producing in a day and I was not prepared to do that so none from them .I use money she gest from attendence allowance to do this and I have also just ordered a pair of wide shoes her ankles and knees swollen. these can be got without paying vat on the shoes

ElizabethAnn

Jan 4, 2014
Northumberland
If I had ever thought about incontinence before Mum & Dad suffered (which I don't think I had) I think I would have thought it was due to muscle weakness.

But... yesterday Mum asked "How do I get rid of fluid?" and eventually we worked out that she meant she wanted to go to the loo. She had to be shown the toilet and how to use it.

I'm wondering what she would have said if we had just asked "Do you want to go to the toilet?" - presumable "No" if she doesn't know what the toilet is anymore...

Busy thinking of ways to phrase the question so that it means something to her... I suppose we start with "Do you want to get rid of any fluid?" :confused:

Elizabeth.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
As my wife tends to take the pads out when she goes to the toilet I had hoped to be able to get some Attends washable pouch pants. However it seems that these have been discontinued, so it's back to the pads. Surely this can't be a unique situation but I'm struggling to find a workable solution, which allows my wife to keep her dignity, but also reduces the amount of washing I find myself having to do now. Any ideas would be very welcome.

This link may help from AgeUK

http://www.ageukincontinence.co.uk/...nce-products/washable-incontinence-pants.html

[QUOTEOur washable incontinence products offer protection from incontinence with the benefit of being reusable rather than throw away. They are extremely comfortable and discreet as they look just like normal underwear.

The level of protection available will vary from light to medium urinary incontinence. We show the absorbency in millilitres on all of our absorbent washable incontinence products.[/QUOTE]