Incontinence.....

sony

Jan 28, 2006
Armagh, Northern Ireland
Hi,

I hope you all don't mind me writing again.....I'm afraid I only seem to write when I need some advice....sorry!!

As some of you may already know my poor Granny has been incontinent for quite a while now......sometimes doubly. Lately, things have been arranged through the health board for them to provide my granny with lighter "nappies" (hate that word, but don't know how else to describe them!) for during the day and a heavier one for night time. They allow I think about 5 for during the day and only 1 at night, i.e - for one month we are provided with 28 heavy night time ones, but my Mum has found that my granny is soaking the "nappy" a couple of times during the night and is therefore needing to change it maybe 3 times....therefore going over the said allowance!!

We're just wondering would anyone know why my Granny is needing to pass so much urine? She doesn't drink that much water or liquid during the day, she is found of tea though and would have quite a few cups but they're only small cups, we just don't understand where its all coming from..... Is it a case that we should contact the Dr? This has been going on for a long time now.

I called down today and she was in the bathroom, my grandad is oblivious to her incontinence problems....so he lets her carry on on her own. So, I knocked on the door to see if she was OK and she said 'yes, come on in', but the door was locked, so she opened the door and let me in and then pointed at the floor (which was absolutely soaking) and said 'look at that', I said 'what happened?' and she said 'I don't know'. I just felt so sorry for her. She had pulled the wet nappy off and had wet pants and tights on her, she wouldn't let me change her pants or tights so I just had to persuade her to put on a dry pad until my Mum came back. I'm not very comforatble doing that sort of thing with my Granny. It's such a loss of dignity for her.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest...there is loads more but I'll not go on too much today!!

Any info or advice on this problem would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Sony

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Hi Sony

Don't worry about writing when you need advice. There are plenty of people around here who are happy to try to help. I think it's a difficult thing to deal with, and probably all the more difficult when it's an older relative.

The large quantities of urine made me wonder about diabetes insipidus. There's a link here to some more info about it.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=631

maybe wouldn't hurt to discuss it with your granny's GP.

best wishes

Áine

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Sony

I had the same problem with my husband last year. I took him to the GP, and he was tested for diabetes (negative) and enlarged prostate (again negative). He was then prescribed Detrusitol, which relaxes the bladder.

I couldn't see how this would work, but it has. My husband is now completely continent during the day, and mostly at night, although he still wears pants at night.

If you need extra supplies of pads, you should contact the continence nurse again. They should supply as many as you need.

Alternatively, you can buy pull-on incontinence pants from Boots. These would be easier for your Nan to use herself. John can manage them, but not pads. They cost about £7 for a pack of 10.

But I would see the GP as soon as possible, to rule out diabetes.

Good luck

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I would think that diabetes or a urine infection would be two of the most obvious causes and both are easy to diagnose. Water infections can also result in an increase in confusion in the elderly so if it is this then treatment could help a great deal, not just in decreasing the frequency and volume of urination.

sony

Jan 28, 2006
Armagh, Northern Ireland
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies, there were greatly appreciated.

My Mum had the Dr out with granny on Monday, he took her off her sedative medication - largactil and her anti-depressants, to see if they were causing her to sleep too deeply during the night. He also sent a nurse out to do bloods and urine tests, haven't got the results yet. But I presume he was checking for diabetes and the like, when I read up about diabetes after your suggestions it sounded as if it could be possible. So, hopefully we'll know one way or another this week sometime....will let you know the outcome.

Thanks Skye, Mum has contacted the incontinence team again regarding the increase in 'nappies', they're to get back to her in March, they've to bring it up at some sort of funding meeting....? We have got the ones out of Boots a few times now, they're great. I'm glad you got John sorted out.....you'd wonder how a tablet meant to relax the bladder would help incontinence.....you'd expect it to go the other way wouldn't you??

Apart from that.....I'm going to offload here if you's don't mind.....you's don't even have to read it I just need to somewhere to write this.....

My Mum and her only sister came to 'blows' as such last week and haven't spoken since......it just makes things so much more difficult and if my poor granny knew what was going on she'd be so upset.
My Mum does EVERYTHING for my grandparents who live beside us, her 5 brothers and herself stay one night a week each and employ someone to stay the seventh night......even though there are 7 children....my aunt (mum's sister) refuses to do a night-sit!! She comes for 4 hours on a Thursday afternoon and 4 hours on a Saturday afternoon....so she see's my granny and grandad for about 8hours out of a 168hour week!! Yet and all she has the nerve to ring my Mum and tell her to do this or do that or why didn't you do that? She's always ringing my Mum to say 'ring such and such about that' or 'ring the Dr about this', but the way I look at it is she has a phone why doesn't she ring these people herself?? Then when my Mum does do these things, they're not done properly......argh!!
So annoying!! I just can't stand things like this and it's making my Mum even more stressed than she needs to be....I think it would be easier if my aunt didn't bother coming over at all.....
My Mum has told two of her brothers about the argument but I kinda got the impression that they were on my aunts side....I think there's abit of a conspiracy happening.....my aunt's probably giving them some sob story...when my Mum has done nothing wrong. Like my Mum told one of her brothers that she does the shopping, washing, cleaning, ironing, collects the pensions, ringing nurses, Drs, running about getting tablets and nappies (the usual that you all go through everyday) and that her sister does nothing and he more or less said something about you're getting a carers allowance for doing that!! But, the carers allowance is pittance and it's taxable, my Mum would gladly allow her sister or any of her brothers the allowance and she could go and get a job....

It makes me so mad!! :mad: Sorry for the rant, but it felt good just to get it off my chest, I know it has upset my Mum but it has upset me just as much coz I know how much she does and it kills me to see her being treated this way....lifes a b***h! The more I see of people's behaviour the less I like them and the more I love my dogs!! God, I'm only 22 and I feel so disillusioned with the world.....

Thanks again,

Sony

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Sony

I'm glad you're getting some help sorting out your gran's incontinence.

As for the rest, I'm afraid it's pretty normal. T

here's always one member of the family who has to bear the brunt of the caring, and usually others who are not prepared to help, but are keen to tell you where you are going wrong! If you search this forum, you'll find lots of examples.

Try a thread I started a while back:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/TalkingPoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=4967

It doesn't make it any easier for you or your mum, though, and you're very young to be having to cope with this.

Stay strong for your mum, she's lucky to have you for support. And keep posting, we will read your messages, I promise.

Love,

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
[QUOTE=sony]It makes me so mad!! :mad: Sorry for the rant, but it felt good just to get it off my chest, I know it has upset my Mum but it has upset me just as much coz I know how much she does and it kills me to see her being treated this way....lifes a b***h! The more I see of people's behaviour the less I like them and the more I love my dogs!! God, I'm only 22 and I feel so disillusioned with the world.....

Sony[/QUOTE]

Dear Sony,
I think your Mum is doing a wonderful job and probably the 6 others feel a bit guilty - that's why they are obnoxious!!

I have wonderful sisters, but one was inclined to boss me about _ 'do this, do that, what have you done about. . . ?'. I think the best thing your Mum can do is to continue to stand up for herself. She could also give the others certain jobs - for which they are totally responsible. For example: could the aunty who comes on Thursdays be responsible for all doctor's visits? or someone else do the shopping?

If they complain about the Carer's allowance, your Mum can offer to swap what she's doing with one of them and give up the Carer's allowance. I bet they don't take her up on it!!!!

Your Mum is lucky to have you - while she's looking after Gran, try to look after her. I know at 22 you will be busy with your own life, but a few helpful things about the house will certainly ighten your own Mum's load. I'm sure she appreciates the loyalty you show her - she must be both a wonderful daughter and a great Mum!
Nell