Incontinence

carol

Jun 24, 2004
Surrey/Hampshire
Please could anyone help, do you know where you can buy incontinence pants i.e. pull up type (poise, boots staydry pants or similar) I would like to buy them in larger nos. than 10 (approx £7.50 per pack) I thought they might work out cheaper if we could bulk buy. Any suggestions. We have tried pads but m in law removes them, so far the pull up pants have been successful.

Thanks for any help and information.

Carol

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi Carol, do you not have an 'incontinence nurse' either as part of your local 'Carer's Support' team, or attached to a local surgery.
I realise all areas are different, but our nurses are so helpful, and can sometimes arrange for aids to be delivered home i.e sheets. pads, knickers etc.
Hope this helps. Connie

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Carol, Connie is right, do try the GP surgery, there should be an incontinence nurse there, you may be able to get what you need on the NHS, so do try it first, your parents will have paid in so are entitled to help now. Love she. XX

carol

Jun 24, 2004
Surrey/Hampshire
Thank you for your help. The in laws have had several visits from the incontinence nurse, the first nurse wanted to do an input/output chart, hello I don't think so. Our local alzheimer group couldn't believe it. The second nurse was much kinder, and arranged for a regular delivery of pads. Well, m in law keeps removing the pads. She is bathed by a homecare team each morning, and they ensure that she had a pad on, very soon it is removed and there lies the problem. She doesn't soil herself all the time, but we have to be prepared, we have put waterproof sheets in all the cushions, and also the bed, and in the car. When she had several accidents in one week f in law phoned the surgery and asked the nurse if there was anything more than pads they said no. I think I will phone and speak with the nurse.

Thanks for your help.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Carol,

There is some interesting information on the web site of the NHS Purchasing and Supply Agency on the provision of disposable inconteinnence products, where absorbent pull-up pants are listed. The page is here:

http://www.pasa.nhs.uk/medicalconsumables/continencecare/

On this page there is also a link to a briefing document that implies provsion of these items is currently in the process of change. It says:

Provision of disposable incontinence products

The Government, as part of a continuing process of improving patient care, is focused on ensuring that the NHS gains the very best value for money and improving patient choice. In support of this the range of disposable incontinence products has been revised. There are now new brands available and some of the old brands will be discontinued, however the type, quality and quantity of products remain the same.

Changes to the range of disposable incontinence products will be phased in from early February. Your primary care trust /continence advisor will keep you informed of the new range which is available and let you know if there are any changes in brands which may affect you.

May I ask for your patience and understanding during this short changeover period

It may be worth asking again if these items can be provided/prescribed. What I find so frustrating in this process is that asking the right person at the right time (which seems to be a matter of luck) can make all the difference to getting the information you really need. In this case, it is possible that not everyone at your GP's surgery is as well "briefed" as to changing provision in this area.

Take care,

Sandy

Last edited:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Removing incontinence pads

Hi Carol,
My mother often removes the pads. She is in a nursing home now so I don't have all the work of keeping up with all of it. I have bought disposable underwear, these she seems to be okay with. We only use them for going out, in case of accidents in the car (I think my husband would die - he loves the car) or wherever. Unfortunately, just the pads are used in the home, presumably because of the costs. Would the disposable panties work better for your MIL? As all women know (sorry, boys, you just don't get it) pads can be such a nuisance. Or maybe just use the underwear once in a while. They are expensive but sometimes the expense can be worth it for the peace of mind.

Joanne

Last edited:

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Boots Stay Dry's have been brilliant for my Aunt. I order them from Boots on-line at least 6 at a time and they are delivered foc direct to the home.

If you come across a cheaper option I'd love to hear.

Kriss