incontinence

jamber

Dec 21, 2014
I am a career for a person with dementia, I am afraid to go out as he is incontinence and afraid he will open his bowels when we are out

copsham2

Dec 19, 2018
I am a career for a person with dementia, I am afraid to go out as he is incontinence and afraid he will open his bowels when we are out
Oh Jamber this makes sense to me. My mother had an "accident" a few years ago when we were out. It was humiliating and difficult getting home. I never went out with her again unless she had already had a bowel movement. She is now, years later in a nursing home and relatively happy.

Howold

Apr 26, 2016
I am a new member. Have been reading posts for some time now thinking I had nothing different to contribute.
I do know how you feel and what it is like to carry spare clothes, more pads, wipes etc with you whenever you go out. Try not to isolate yourself by staying in. I try to make sure my husband has 'been' before we go out. Not always possible, but to know where we are going and where the loo's are. Have you an access key to disabled toilets if there are any? Floor wipes are handy for when you have a puddle to mop up. I always go in with him.
The most difficult are when we have to go into the gents. I think people are getting more understanding or I am just learning, after nearly 5 years, to have a thicker skin!
from Howold

DRS

Nov 26, 2020
This is really a separate topic. I care for my wife who has FTT dementia and is oft en doubly incontinent. Night times are particularly difficult, as she has the habit of removing the pads and supporting knickers supplied by the NHS off- shoot which supplies the pads. Recently I have frequently found her at 5.00 am sitting on the edge of the bed with nothing on her lower half and bedding often has to be washed. Any advice as to how to deal with this problem would be gratefully received. Needless to say the situation is putting great strain on me as it is difficult to be good tempered at 5.00 am in these situation.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @DRS

There are a few things you can try if you haven’t already. I used to put absorbent pads (kylie pads) on dad’s bed so that, instead of washing all the bedding, I could just remove the pad and wash this instead. You can also get disposable pads - I used to stick puppy training pads onto the sheet with double sided tape - which can then be disposed of in the dustbin.

My dad lived alone so I would often find that he’d have removed the wet pad and got back into bed and then wet the bed so I started putting a disposable pad on top of the washable one which did cut down on the amount of washing most nights.

I know others have used special sleep suits which fasten up the back to stop their PWD removing the pads they’re wearing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet