Incontinence

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Just hit another stage. Yesterday and this morning when I attended to him, he was lying flat on his back across the bed, legs down on the floor and he literally couldn’t move. Yesterday I got him sitting up but his back really hurt, so this morning I lifted and rolled him onto his side with much pain. Fortunately a German friend of his sent me a superior type of urinal and he was able to use it both times, probably because he can hardly move now so it stayed in place. I have asked for an assessment for a bed but the wheels grind slowly. So now I must be in to Kylie sheets and pull-ups I suppose. Thank goodness for TP and all the kind and helpful stuff on the forums. One minute I think he could go on for ages and the next I think he is dying. This morning he looks like he is, asleep again, immobile, just wetting his lips and refusing anything else. I don’t think he will make it down the stairs today although he did yesterday. With this disease you can’t count on anything though, and as someone said there’s no knowing how long this is going to go on.

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
What I don't understand is how quickly my OH's incontinence has come on. He has been wearing pull up pants for a little while (as a precaution, because he used to worry about going to the loo when out) and they stayed dry. But about 6 weeks ago, he suddenly started being incontinent (urine only) during the night, every night. Fortunately, I've only had to change the sheets on a couple of occasions. For about 2 weeks now, he's become incontinent during the day & again this is every day. I try to persuade him to go to the loo every 2 or 3 hrs, but he always tells me he doesn't need to go. I suggest that it's good exercise, anyway, as he just sits in his chair the majority of the time. When he agrees to go to the loo, he does have a wee. He still seems to be aware that he needs a bowel movement, although I think it may taking a while to register, as I can tell it's imminent, as he seems to move around in his chair uncomfortably. He's had various tests & there's no infection & his prostate is ok. Just seems so strange that it's happened like this! It seems he doesn't get the signal anymore.
My ho as vascale .went in hospital last January with chest infection was there 2 week . And had incontenant .and trouble walking simmer frame .trouble getting up and down with out help

He was ok befor then walking with a stick but that was all .things change so quick some times what next

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Just hit another stage. Yesterday and this morning when I attended to him, he was lying flat on his back across the bed, legs down on the floor and he literally couldn’t move. Yesterday I got him sitting up but his back really hurt, so this morning I lifted and rolled him onto his side with much pain. Fortunately a German friend of his sent me a superior type of urinal and he was able to use it both times, probably because he can hardly move now so it stayed in place. I have asked for an assessment for a bed but the wheels grind slowly. So now I must be in to Kylie sheets and pull-ups I suppose. Thank goodness for TP and all the kind and helpful stuff on the forums. One minute I think he could go on for ages and the next I think he is dying. This morning he looks like he is, asleep again, immobile, just wetting his lips and refusing anything else. I don’t think he will make it down the stairs today although he did yesterday. With this disease you can’t count on anything though, and as someone said there’s no knowing how long this is going to go on.
So hard for you to have to deal with @Grahamstown , I don't know how you don't crumble under the strain - miracle how we carers manage to keep going really.