Incontinence

Susisuster

Mar 6, 2017
Last night my husband was incontinent in bed for the first time, he is very upset about this and is worried that this is going happen every night he is only 57 it all seems so cruel, I am so upset...is this the next part of the journey? What I would like to ask TP I have seen links on here in the past regarding mattress and duvet protectors if anyone could put them on again so I could explore the options. Thanks.

CarerForMum

May 5, 2017
Last night my husband was incontinent in bed for the first time, he is very upset about this and is worried that this is going happen every night he is only 57 it all seems so cruel, I am so upset...is this the next part of the journey? What I would like to ask TP I have seen links on here in the past regarding mattress and duvet protectors if anyone could put them on again so I could explore the options. Thanks.

This is the only one that I can think of: https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/beds-and-bedding/

Nameless

Jun 10, 2016
There is also disposable underwear that might be okay for your husband. They vary in how much they absorb and they are like underwear to pull up and down. Which makes it easy when they go to the toilette (no pad to handle). It might give him a sense of security when he goes to bed. I can imagine that it's upsetting, sorry.

Charlie1929

May 22, 2017
Somewhere in England
Hello there, I know how you both must be feeling this morning. I was so upset when it happened to my late father. Just because it happened last night doesn't mean its going to be a nightly occurrence. If it was me I wouldn't go out and buy waterproof duvet and mattress covers just yet. I would purchase incontinence pants and get him to wear one in bed at night. You can buy different types ranging from slight urinary incontinence to faecal. Your hubby may go some time before it happens again but you can be prepared using these. Try not to let this mishap ruin your day with your obviously much loved husband. Give him and kiss and tell him it doesn't matter. God bless you both.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I can understand how upsetting this is but it will not be an isolated incident so best to be prepared. Get referred to the Continence Clinic and in the meantime buy pull-up pants from the supermarket.

You will need a waterproof bed sheet and some Kylie sheets as a minimum because there is nothing worse than trying to clean and dry a soaked mattress:
https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/beds-and-bedding/kylie-bed-pads/

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
I have mattress, duvet and pillow protectors on my bed as well as wearing tena pants at night for incontinence.

The protectors can be bought from Amazon or even from Argos nowadays - be aware though some are very plasticy and rustle quite a bit when in bed and can cause perspiration.

It is embarrassing if you're not used to it but if it becomes a regular thing it becomes just one of those things.

Susisuster

Mar 6, 2017
Thank you for all your replies I am going to look at all the options my husband is very apprehensive about going to bed tonight but fingers crossed.

hillymilly

Nov 29, 2012
Paignton
I bought a completely waterproof single mattress for my mother. It's breathable but waterproof. And then also put a large Kylie sheet underneath her bed sheets. It wasn't very expensive and they'll take away your old mattress for you. I used "aaabeds" in Darlington and found them on google.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hi, although it has happened once and is likely to happen again, it is by no means necessarily going to be a regular occurrence at the moment.

My husband had his first (and only) bed-wetting incident several months ago - fortunately I had made waterproof bedding (pillows, sheets, mattress cover) part of our routine for several years, so when it happened suddenly, it was fine. After that incident I began using a waterproof duvet too, though so far it hasn't been needed.

My husband had a cough/cold at the time and had also taken a mild sedative on the night of the incident, and I suspect these all contributed to the matter.

He has occasional daytime incidents, again usually when he has a virus and is generally more confused and under the weather.

My husband was a little unnerved by the bed-wetting, so for a couple of nights he wore pull-ups. These turned out to be unnecessary, but once he had regained his confidence he went back to wearing normal underwear overnight.

It can be a fine line to tread between preparing for incontinence whilst keeping our loved ones both confident and continent for as long as possible.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I always put the kylie sheets on top of the sheet, directly under my husband. I found the single size, turned length-wise, with the "wings", one up under the pillow and the other down under his feet, worked best. One tip - make sure you don't use fabric conditioner when you wash them, because it prevents them absorbing liquid! I also (mostly because my husband felt the cold a lot more than I did), switched to using two single size duvets on the bed. Thankfully, the duvet never did get wet, but if it had, a single size is a lot easier to get washed & dried than a larger one!

My husband was also very distressed and mortified when he realised he was starting to have accidents. But I took him to the supermarket one day and showed him that this was such a very common problem, due to all sorts of reasons that even Tesco had their own brand of pads! He looked at the whole range on display, looked at me, and grinned and said "Ha! Imagine that!" and was much more relaxed about it. I think he realised that if a supermarket chain had their own brand of such things, then they must be selling an awful lot of them, which meant he certainly wasn't the only person with the problem! :)