Incontinence worse...

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Lovleemummy

The only good thing with single beds would be you wouldn't be changing such a large bed every morning. However, would you wake up to help him go to the loo? Don't know about temperatures to wash in I am afraid though

withy

Feb 23, 2013
Lancashire
[My family have said to get single beds but not sure (what do you think?) I don't very often get wet from him.
My first job every morning is to wash the bedding & PJ's on 60 degrees, is this hot enough & should I be disinfecting the washer?
All for 1 and 1 for all [/QUOTE]

Hi, No room here for single beds, so use single duvets. I have a protector on his duvet, and only have the one single duvet cover to wash. Also I know just what he is up to at night. Works for me.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I am having a nightmare with my hubby mainly at night. I have nappies & pads supplied by incontinence nurse & also buy pull-up pants. I use the pull-up's when we go out "easier" but at night time he absolutely soaks the bed. I bought pants which hold up to 2200ml. How can anyone wee that much!!! I have also put pad & nappy, nappy & pant & also pads anything to stop him from getting so wet. He will sometimes use his urine bottle but has a tendency start weeing before the bottle is in place ending up with either the floor or me getting wet. The worst thing is he won't let me wash him in the night and does become agitated.
I suppose I'm lucky that at the moment he is just wet.
My family have said to get single beds but not sure (what do you think?) I don't very often get wet from him.
My first job every morning is to wash the bedding & PJ's on 60 degrees, is this hot
enough & should I be disinfecting the washer?
All for 1 and 1 for all

Would he use a convene?? The continence clinic should supply one. or failing that a funnel, which is attached to a bag which holds plenty. This too can be supplied by continence clinic.

I have a separate bed, thankfully my bedroom is large enough . I hear my husband when he gets up as he has to use a walking frame .

Jeannette

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
Sorry I can't help with the incontinence.
Since most clothing, linen nowadays states a 40 degree wash, I have cleaned and sanitised the washing machine every 3 three months
When mum was incontinent I did it once every couple of weeks

I dont use the ones you can buy, as they dont leave the machine smelling as nice and sweet as my method , plus my method requires a 90 degree washes, which to my mind is more bacteria unfriendly

1) I use a good couple of handfuls of, Baking soda on the longest boil wash
when you open the door, dont worry about any less than fresh smell, the next step will sort that out.

2) A bottle of Distilled vinegar ( white vinegar) and another boil wash,
once finished keep the door open, any vinegary smell will soon go

When you do these washes do you also have clothes in or is it just an empty drum. I must admit I have never even thought about it.

I sometimes put soda crystals in along with the wash but never with an empty machine.

Jeannette

Lovleemummy

Jun 13, 2013
Stoke-on-Trent
Hi 1954
He does sometimes get up but it's usually me asking him if he wants the toilet as he is fidgeting. Sometimes he will wee in his bottle other times he won't. But he'll still most times soak the bed.
I was wondering about the washer as someone else had mentioned it. At home you can only have 1 machine.
Withy- that might be worth ago using single duvets, I have got a spare single.
Thank you to both of you xx

Pat12ka

Oct 28, 2013
My hubby and I recently relocated,he has had a traumatic brain in jury,with resulting dementia. He has better bowel/bladder control than he did yrs.ago,but it is NEVER certain . One day as we were going for a neighborhood walk,in our rural area...we met two of the young gentlemen who live near,"Bob" took off,in a real hurry,while we were introducing ourselves he had a bowel movement! It seems the signal"to go" is delayed to the brain. This has been going on for over six yrs.now. We continually have to adjust going on jaunts to the store,etc. I am never able to relax. we carry extra clothes in the car,etc.but going for a walk is a different story. :confused:

I have the same problem with my mum, but because her mobility is bad, doing anything in a hurry isn't an option. Have had a couple of horrendous accidents in public toilets and have now got to the point where I don't take her shopping or on trips unless its absolutely necessary (hospital appointments, etc). I feel really guilty about this and its a real shame as she loves being taken out, but the whole thing stresses me out too much. Luckily she does go to a day centre which she loves. I don't have any answers to this problem as pads seem to be useless in these circumstances.

Varandas

Sep 2, 2013
Hampshire England
When you do these washes do you also have clothes in or is it just an empty drum. I must admit I have never even thought about it.

I sometimes put soda crystals in along with the wash but never with an empty machine.

Jeannette

When disinfecting the washing machine usually I run it at high temperature with the baking soda and drops of lemon juice almost empty only with the rags I use for cleaning the bathroom and the bedroom floor.

SINGLE BED - just exchanging notes! I tried to use a single bed here however my client (a lady) is very tall and there was the added difficulty in laying in bed at night. She would be across the bed - only her body in the mattress and head and feet out. It was a struggle getting her in the middle of the bed using sliding sheet plus the stress at bed time.
Now we have a larger electric hospital bed (140x200m) which is OK as her mobility is not good and yes I still have all the washing to do; but not so bad.
The added benefit with is larger bed is when using the bed-rails the patient is in the middle and therefore less likely to hurt her arms or legs if agitated - but her mobility is poor.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I'm learning so much, and I really need this at the moment! I've learned by Googling that you should put urine soiled items on a rinse cycle first to dilute the urine. So is that once a fortnight with the washing machine cleaning routine of baking soda and white vinegar?

Can anyone suggest how to remove urine contamination from a tumble dryer? We are using bio washing liquid diluted a bit with water and soaked on to clean flannels. Once dry they are being resoaked with water to keep the cleansing steam going. Then I think some full loads of damp towels to clean the sticky bio liquid from the inside of the drum.

Can anyone tell me if using a bio liquid at 60 degrees will destroy the bio enzymes? We've had to raise the washing temperature of urine soiled linens from 40 degrees because they weren't coming out clean. We've also changed to a bio liquid instead of non-bio powder. The problem is that my mother's washing machine doesn't have a 50 degree cycle which is what I would use at home for such items.

BTW I suspect that the use of vinegar in a washing machine probably shortens its life but at the moment I don't care, I just need the laundry to be hygeinic and smelling sweet. Thanks for all advice, sorry to hijack the OP's thread. :( It's a case of "Incontinence worse...." Yes it is.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent

Jeannette

Hi Jeannette
It has to be an empty drum.

I remember as a child mum used to put soda crystals in our bathwater

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi Katrine
I started cleansing the washing Machine every three months several yrs ago, then when mum became incontinent I did it every couple of weeks .
am now back to every three months.
this machine is over ten yrs old with no problems , fingers crossed, black cats and all that :D

I learned about this method yrs ago from one of those house cleaning programs.

Sorry cant help with urine contamination of thr dryer

Last edited:

Varandas

Sep 2, 2013
Hampshire England
Thanks Lin1
It makes lots of sense cleaning the washing machine with an empty drum.
Just in case there were previously any infection it is better to be on the safe side.
Very helpful hints. Ta!

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I tend to soak Mum's sheets and nighties (if wet) in a bucket with washing powder and disinfectant and then rinse out before I put them in the washing machine. I use a 60 degree wash for cottons, and 40 degrees for the nighties which are made of man-made material. This seems to stop any urine taint on the materials.

Any answers on using the dipsticks on "nappies" to test for infection?

Sorry, don't have a tumble dryer so don't know the answer to that question.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Just googled "bio washing powders temperature" and found this:-

Enzymes function in a very specific range of temperatures (broadly speaking, at human body temperature: 37°C), and so high temperatures (over 60°C) will kill them (see footnote 1). That’s why biological powders usually work at around 40°C, although the green box on top of my washing machine contains enzymes that have been engineered to work at 30°C – because cooler wash cycles are better for the environment and save us money.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Looking round the internet, found Napisan, which I had already heard of but never thought of using. Does anyone else use it on soiled underwear/bedding?

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Looking round the internet, found Napisan, which I had already heard of but never thought of using. Does anyone else use it on soiled underwear/bedding?

I used to soak towelling nappies in it many years ago when the children were babies it was very good then and got rid of stains and bacteria , you could also add it to the washing machine,

Lovleemummy

Jun 13, 2013
Stoke-on-Trent
Great idea Napisan wouldn't have thought about that. Always used it for nappies when children were young. All these tips are so useful.
Another query. What would be the best for cleaning bed, floors & carpets. All ideas gratefully received.
Had a dry night last night Horray!!!! So have done my washing machine today smells so much better