Incontinence products

Aubern

Jan 19, 2006
East Anglia
I am a very new carer and just starting to have to purchase bed protection and knickers for women. Has anyone any views on good products and where and how to buy them? I would prefer not to purchase online unless there is a telephone contact number.

Thank you for your help.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Talk to your doctor/district nurse and see if it is appropriate to get the Incontinence team involved. They will provide pads free of charge. My mum used those with ordinary pants. We toileted her hourly during the day to avoid as many accidents as possible. You can get bigger pads for the night time.
Amy

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Aubern,
We had advice from our Community Psychiatric Nurse, and my husband's incont. pants are supplied free of charge from the NHS (I don't know whether this depends on your financial assessment).

The Kylie sheets we received from the NHS are un-backed, and therefore no good unless you are comfortable with a substantial polythene sheet underneath.
However, I have purchased a couple of backed Kylie sheets, and they are a very worthwhile investment.

Best wishes!

EDITH

Jan 26, 2006
Incontinence Products.

Aubern said:
I am a very new carer and just starting to have to purchase bed protection and knickers for women. Has anyone any views on good products and where and how to buy them? I would prefer not to purchase online unless there is a telephone contact number.

Thank you for your help.

THE INCONTINANCE NURSE AT YOUR GP SURGERY SHOULD HAVE A LIST OF PRODUCTS THAT YOU CAN PURCHASE. THEY ALSO PROVIDE PATIENTS WITH WHAT THEY CALL A "KYLIE" (as in the singer) THIS IS A SUPERB SOFT COMFY WATER PROOF SHEET THAT WORKS SORT OF LIKE BABY NAPPIES IN THAT THE WATER IS ABSORBED AND IS DRAWN FROM THE TOP LAYER OF THE KYLIE TO PROTECT FROM SATURATION. THE FIRST ONE IS GIVEN FREE OF CHARGE WITH DETAILS OF HOW AND WHERE TO PURCHASE ADDITIONAL ITEMS. HOPE THIS MAY BE OF SOME HELP TO YOU.