Incontinence products, Who provides Care home, or Family

kabby31

Aug 31, 2015
My mum has Mid/later stage dementia and has had increasing issues with urine incontinence, whilst still at home, respite and now for the last 12months in a Care Home (In the UK) As a family we have been providing the Pull-up pants for Mum, not the nursing home. Is this the norm, or not. I was told by a senior carer, that mum had been referred, but it takes time. Surely they would have to be provided if the Client had no family :confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
My mum has Mid/later stage dementia and has had increasing issues with urine incontinence, whilst still at home, respite and now for the last 12months in a Care Home (In the UK) As a family we have been providing the Pull-up pants for Mum, not the nursing home. Is this the norm, or not. I was told by a senior carer, that mum had been referred, but it takes time. Surely they would have to be provided if the Client had no family :confused::confused::confused:

While my mum was in a care home all products were provided by the home. They were good quality Tena brand. Never any mention of us needing to provide them and I would expect the cost to be included in the weekly fees.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Though nursing homes don't always provide pull-ups. On the other hand, there is staff around at all times to provide care and change pads. But they should provide something.

Shishkebab

Aug 3, 2015

My mum is due some sort of assessment but the care home have provided pads and stringy knickers for her since she arrived two months ago.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
My mother's CH always provided what she needed in this department. She had not been incontinent when she went in, or at least not enough to need supplies - it was all managed when necessary without them asking for anything.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
My late Mum wore the pads and nets provided by the home. They arranged them with the incontinence nurse at her GP. If I'd wanted her in the Tena type pants I would have had to provide them myself .

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
My mother's care home obtains pads from the district nurse, just as I did when she was in her own home. So....that means approx three a day are provided, of a basic type. If we want Tenas or pull-ups of any sort for her, we have to buy them separately. The home will do this for us if we ask, but the cost will appear on the bill, on top of mum's usual fees.

From my previous job, I know this has been a bone of contention locally for at least twenty years.......:(

Lindy xx