Incontinence products, Who provides Care home, or Family

Discussion in 'Middle - later stages of dementia' started by kabby31, Aug 31, 2015.

1. kabby31

kabby31 Registered User

Aug 31, 2015
    #1 kabby31, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    My mum has Mid/later stage dementia and has had increasing issues with urine incontinence, whilst still at home, respite and now for the last 12months in a Care Home (In the UK) As a family we have been providing the Pull-up pants for Mum, not the nursing home. Is this the norm, or not. I was told by a senior carer, that mum had been referred, but it takes time. Surely they would have to be provided if the Client had no family :confused::confused::confused:

2. Pickles53

Pickles53 Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Radcliffe on Trent
    While my mum was in a care home all products were provided by the home. They were good quality Tena brand. Never any mention of us needing to provide them and I would expect the cost to be included in the weekly fees.

3. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Though nursing homes don't always provide pull-ups. On the other hand, there is staff around at all times to provide care and change pads. But they should provide something.

4. Shishkebab

Shishkebab Registered User

Aug 3, 2015
    My mum is due some sort of assessment but the care home have provided pads and stringy knickers for her since she arrived two months ago.

5. Witzend

Witzend Registered User

Aug 29, 2007
    SW London
    My mother's CH always provided what she needed in this department. She had not been incontinent when she went in, or at least not enough to need supplies - it was all managed when necessary without them asking for anything.

6. cragmaid

cragmaid Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    North East England
    My late Mum wore the pads and nets provided by the home. They arranged them with the incontinence nurse at her GP. If I'd wanted her in the Tena type pants I would have had to provide them myself .

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

7. Lindy50

Lindy50 Registered User

Dec 11, 2013
    Cotswolds
    My mother's care home obtains pads from the district nurse, just as I did when she was in her own home. So....that means approx three a day are provided, of a basic type. If we want Tenas or pull-ups of any sort for her, we have to buy them separately. The home will do this for us if we ask, but the cost will appear on the bill, on top of mum's usual fees.

From my previous job, I know this has been a bone of contention locally for at least twenty years.......:(

Lindy xx

8. kabby31

kabby31 Registered User

Aug 31, 2015
    Thanks for the replies, much appreciated
    :)