Incontinence problems

Daisydoodle

Dec 5, 2020
My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s approximately 8 years ago. I care for him at home. He is getting much worse. He doesn’t know where anything is in the house now especially the toilet. He has started urinating in his waste bin in his bedroom and also in the fireplace. He constantly wets himself as I think he waits until he’s desperate to go, but gets snappy if I keep prompting him. He has also urinated on the carpet at the side of his bed and has also wet the bed.
is it a good idea to have a commode in his bedroom? Any suggestions gratefully received. Thank you.

cobden 28

Dec 15, 2017
Will he wear incontinence pads/pants, as these will contain the worst of any wteness/mess. Also, is it possible for you to replace carpets with easy-to clean flooring such as vinyl, with washable rugs for the areas most affected?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Also consider puppy pads down in the places where he commonly wees - eg beside the bed, or besides the toilet.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Would he tollerate pull ups?

Would he pee in a bottle even if you had to kinda assist. At least if he stood up and started to pee in the fireplace, you might catch some of it

Daisydoodle

Dec 5, 2020
Thank you so much for all your comments, which are very helpful. I am waiting for the district nurse to call round next week which is a new referral so I will ask about incontinence pants. I hadn’t even considered a bottle. It might be another idea. I will certainly look into getting some puppy pads.
Unfortunately the flooring can’t be changed.
Thank you ?

Valpiana

Sep 16, 2019
I use Huggies dry nights bedmats on the carpet next to the bed so if there is an accident then they can just be thrown away and not add to the washing mountain. Each corner has a peel off strip so they do stick down but could be a bit of a trip hazard for anyone who doesn't pick up their feet. Obviously they can also be used under a bed sheet but more than one is needed for an adult if they move around the bed a lot.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I use Huggies dry nights bedmats on the carpet next to the bed so if there is an accident then they can just be thrown away and not add to the washing mountain. Each corner has a peel off strip so they do stick down but could be a bit of a trip hazard for anyone who doesn't pick up their feet. Obviously they can also be used under a bed sheet but more than one is needed for an adult if they move around the bed a lot.
I use a kylie sheet on the bed. Its a thin fabric mat which can be washed, (and also tumbled dried) and reused, but is large enough to fit under an adult and can absorb a large amount of liquid. Its more expensive than a disposable pad, but lasts a very long time (I havent had to replace mine yet).

If you are getting constant wet beds I would also recommend getting either a waterproof mattress cover, or getting a mattress that is entirely covered with a waterproof covering.

Marcustroberts

Dec 11, 2020
My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s approximately 8 years ago. I care for him at home. He is getting much worse. He doesn’t know where anything is in the house now especially the toilet. He has started urinating in his waste bin in his bedroom and also in the fireplace. He constantly wets himself as I think he waits until he’s desperate to go, but gets snappy if I keep prompting him. He has also urinated on the carpet at the side of his bed and has also wet the bed.
is it a good idea to have a commode in his bedroom? Any suggestions gratefully received. Thank you.
I think a commode would certainly be worth a try if you can get one, it should work best if the toilet/commode can be seen from the bed as it will encourage use if he wakes up needing the toilet. In terms of prompting him and encouraging toilet use in general you could try a few simple wayfinding techniques such as a sign on the bathroom door (A picture of a toilet may not sound the most stylish but it is proven to help) or even better keeping the door open and the light on during the night so the toilet can be seen.

spandit

Feb 11, 2020
Get a couple of Kylies as you will need to wash them. My father wears pull up pants which contain a huge amount. They're reasonably expensive (Tena Men Premium Fit) but comfortable

Tracy51

Nov 9, 2020
Glasgow
Have you heard of Kylie bed pads?.They cover the bottom sheet and have wings which tuck under and are easy to was and dry. you could also use a mattress cover which is totally waterproof encompassing the whole mattress, I use these and are invaluable,and speak to your g p who should be able to get you incontinence wear should that be appropriate, good luck as I know what is like.

Frankie16

Dec 15, 2020
I thought I had written this myself as it mirrors exactly what we are going through. The same thoughts about a commode also occurred to me. But I don't think it would make any difference. I am thinking the only solution would be to keep my husband padded up all day as well as in the night. But I can see this might cause problems too. My husbands diagnosis was 8 years ago too. Maybe this is the beginning of the really hard stuff and the point where looking after him at home is just too difficult. Keep in touch

Daisydoodle

Dec 5, 2020
Hi Frankie 16. I’m so sorry, I’ve only just seen your message. I now have a commode in my husband’s bedroom and have attached a “toilet” sign to the back of it, as I have done on the toilet doors in the house. He does use it in the night but sometimes misses so I’ve put a bed pad underneath it to save the carpet from getting wet and smelly.
Also I prompt him every 2 or so hours during the day to use the toilet, which seems to be working, fingers crossed. He also wears disposable pants and got used to them very quickly.
I try and avoid giving him a drink 2 hours before bedtime.
I would agree that this is the beginning of the hard stuff and nobody prepares you for it. That’s why this talking point is extremely helpful.

Marcustroberts

Dec 11, 2020
Hi Frankie 16. I’m so sorry, I’ve only just seen your message. I now have a commode in my husband’s bedroom and have attached a “toilet” sign to the back of it, as I have done on the toilet doors in the house. He does use it in the night but sometimes misses so I’ve put a bed pad underneath it to save the carpet from getting wet and smelly.
Also I prompt him every 2 or so hours during the day to use the toilet, which seems to be working, fingers crossed. He also wears disposable pants and got used to them very quickly.
I try and avoid giving him a drink 2 hours before bedtime.
I would agree that this is the beginning of the hard stuff and nobody prepares you for it. That’s why this talking point is extremely helpful.
I know this was posted a little while ago but I just thought i'd check in and see if you'd followed up so I was really pleased to read your message. Great to hear the commode and toilet sig are working to a degree. Regarding him missing the bowl, a little tip that's been shown to help is to put some red electrical tape around the bowl so that it shows the edge well, this can really help show where to aim (it's tricky for the eye to see white on white so the edge can become hard to see, especially at night) and not missing can improve a persons confidence and mood significantly.

I know it may feel extremely tiring and hard for you but based on your messages it sounds like you are doing a fantastic job of caring for your husband, you should be very proud.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976