Incontinence problems .....again

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I have a new problem with John. He has at last almost recovered from his virus, and his bowel problems have almost cleared up.

But the night-time urinary incontinence is getting worse, in that he is producing copious amounts of urine during the night.

The incontinence nurse was here today, and she said I should consult our GP (if I can get an appointment!), as she doesn't have an answer.

He completely saturated two pads last night, as well as getting up to the toilet three times. It's not a prostate problem, he has no difficulty passing water.

I'm completely exhausted, I'm up and down like a yo-yo all night.

Has anyone else any experience of this?

Skye

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Poor you. He's not on any form of diuretic is he? No advice, I'm afraid, except the obvious - restrict his fluid intake in the evening.

Jennifer

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
My sympathy goes to you, lack of sleep is very draining for both of you.

I can only make the same suggestion as Jennifer, restricting his fluid intake might make a difference, although my grandson has the same problem and has no fluids after 5pm.

Le's hope you can see the GP sometime very soon. Our practice is a nightmare unless it is an emergency.

Kathleen

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks for that. John is not on diuretics, and doesn't have anything to drink after 6 pm. I've cut out tea and coffee (because of his bowel trouble), and now I'm stumped. I really don't know where all the fluid comes from.

Thanks for the link, Jennifer, it sounds a distinct possibility. Both of John's parents died of cancer of the pancreas.

I'll try to see our GP tomorrow. They keep some appointments back so if you ring at 8 am (and keep re-dialling) you may get a same day appointment. Otherwise it can take three weeks!

I'll let you know.

Skye

Last edited:

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hello Skye
hope you get an appointment soon.....don't forget to say just how exhausting it is for you too
love xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I also have problems with David. He has been checked for almost everything (Nothing wrong with him!!!!!!!!!!!!!) He does not have diabetes, only enlarged prostrate - we have tried Alfazosin(? spelling) but that brought his blood pressure down to unreasonable level. We are now trying Urispass (flavoxate hydrochloride) which has helped slightly. The incontinence nurse has not responded to my request for help so we try different pads etc ourselves. Between 5.00 pm until 7.00 am we are likely to have floods of wee everywhere - seems to mess up pads, pants, trousers and floors. Then we go through a phase of no probs at all. What a mystery and no one out there seems to understand or care.

I am at a loss to know where to go next. My sleep pattern has changed. I shall go downstairs soon (8.00 pm) and probably fall asleep over Autumn Watch but at least it gives me a nap before a sleepless night.

So after all that Mel (me feeling sorry for myself) I hope the GP can give some tablets to relieve the situation. I am not sure that you will ever get a full night's sleep but a few hours at a time will be a blesssing for you.

Let us know if you have a good result from your GP Best wishes Beckyjan. :( :( :(

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
jenniferpa said:
I've though of something else which you should raise with your doctor - diabetes insipidus (sp?) This is from NHS direct
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?printPage=1&articleId=631

yes, that's what I was wondering about too when I started reading this thread. Hope the GP appointment is fruitful.

ps. just a thought Skye ........ the GP where i'm registered made a note that I was carer for dad ....... and gave me a bit of "preferential treatment" when it came to trying to make appointments (and get scripts at short notice) ..... if you haven't done already, it might be worth flagging this up with your surgery.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks everyone. Rang GP at 8 am, got appointment for 10.30. WOW! Took in urine sample, hav to go back tomorrow at 8.30 for fasting blood tests. GP took us seriously, thought diabetes a possibility, also kidney trouble. If no sugar, will refer us to hospital for kidney tests.

Doesn't it make you feel so much better when you are seen promptly and taken seriously? It's the fighting to get someone to listen that causes the stress.

So thanks again for the ideas.

Skye

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well done, Skye. Yes, it makes all the difference when you're taken seriously.

Jennifer

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Update:

Results of blood & urine tests: all negative. GP has referred us to urologist. In the meantime, things went from bad to worse. John was up to the loo every hour and a half every night last week, as well as saturating two pads per night. I was on my knees, neck in spasm, blinding headaches, couldn't think straight.

The incontinence nurse came round on Thursday evening, took one look at me and said I needed respite. Then she came up with another idea: ask the GP for a prescription for amitryptilene, it might relax the bladder. Wonder of wonders, got another same-day appointment on Friday morning, got the prescription, and it has worked!!!!

Friday night and last night John slept until 4 am, got up to the loo (dry!!!), went back to bed and slept till morning.

Jan, could you try that with your David? I feel so much better after two nights' sleep.

Hazel

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Thanks Skye but unfortunately David has been on Amitriptyline (?spelling) for about 2 yrs. Goodness what state David would be in without it! He has just started on Alfuzosin as well as Flavoxate and he is slightly better. Going for a review of all tablets hopefully this week.
Really pleased you have found a solution - enjoy your rest while you can
Beckyjan