Incontinence Pants for nursing home

stockport1965

Sep 27, 2016
stockport
Before Mum went into hospital, she was wearing Always disposable pants.

Now weighing 5st 5lb, these are way too big. I think she is basically now going to be in bed at all times with not eating and drinking much.
Do we supply underwear while she is in the nursing home? It is being funded by LA.
If so, can anyone suggest as to what to get...pads? Can we get these on prescription?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I don`t know what the situation is now but when my husband was in residential care from 2010-2014 he was never charged for incontinence wear.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
When my dad went in to residential care last year I sent the incontinence pants he had left with him and the manager said she would get more from the NHS continence service.

Dad had been in pull-ups at home but I think pads are more usual in nursing homes.

Have a word with the manager.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Dad was issued in his NH with pull up pants because he would not keep the pad in place ... issue of 3 for every 24 hours...not nearly enough but hey ho! Generally I was told the service issues pads as they are much cheaper tgan the pants and I do remember the NH having to really argue a good case for dad and pants. Talk to the manager and if they haven't already ask then to refer for an issue/need assessment.

Steve115

May 17, 2016
Huntingdon area
My wife used pull ups at home but is supplied with pads at her nursing home. The pads are much easier and quicker to change especially after a bowel movement. They also appear to be just as absorbent. We do not pay for them.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother is in a self-funded care home and is just starting to become incontinent, so a couple of weeks ago the care home involved the Continence team who have agreed to supply free continence products for her (pads). They will only supply 3 a day so any more than that have to be paid for.

The manager had pre-warned me they had started to restrict free supplies now. I don't know if this applies nationwide, or if it is different between areas.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I don't know what the 'rules' are at mum's CH - she has been in pads for the past year when incontinence went beyond the odd accident and payment for these has never been mentioned. (We're paying £800 per week for heaven's sake!)

I find myself outraged that people are told the allowance for free ones is 'just 3 per day'! If the CH says that to me and that we would have to pay for extra ones, I would contact my MP and shout from the rooftops! Surely this is a basic human rights issue? Would they refuse to put your PWD in a clean pad if you didn't pay? I'm pretty sure they would not be allowed to leave someone soiled due to non-payment for extra pads.

Absolutely outrageous! If a PWD needs pads, they need pads - full stop. What happens when someone has a stomach upset? (Can't spell diarr... dirarh... oh s*d it.)

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I don't know what the 'rules' are at mum's CH - she has been in pads for the past year when incontinence went beyond the odd accident and payment for these has never been mentioned. (We're paying £800 per week for heaven's sake!)

I find myself outraged that people are told the allowance for free ones is 'just 3 per day'! If the CH says that to me and that we would have to pay for extra ones, I would contact my MP and shout from the rooftops! Surely this is a basic human rights issue? Would they refuse to put your PWD in a clean pad if you didn't pay? I'm pretty sure they would not be allowed to leave someone soiled due to non-payment for extra pads.

Absolutely outrageous! If a PWD needs pads, they need pads - full stop. What happens when someone has a stomach upset? (Can't spell diarr... dirarh... oh s*d it.)

I agree it's outrageous that you only get 3 a day, which is clearly isn't enough. I have a vague memory I've read in the past that you can get additional pads if you raise objections, although you shouldn't have to. But I suspect they mainly rely on people buying their own, much like they also rely on people paying for their own care.