Incontinence Pants For Men...

MillyP

Jan 5, 2007
London
Does anyone know a place where these can be bought in bulk at a vastly reduced price?

Lastest is...since Dad has been home he has wet the bed badly every night...he is fine during the day and knows when to go to the toilet and how to use it on his own, it's just the night times that's confusing him...not sure if he's doing it in his sleep or that he wakes up and can't make it to the urine bottle by his bed...anyway he is flooding the place and it's not very nice for my Mum...she's been washing bedding and clothes since the day he came home...anyway I got in touch with the CPN today and they told me that it was Dads GP I needed to contact and ask for the nurse that deals in this kind of thing...this I did and the nurse tells me that the CPN are just trying to pass the buck as they could have easily arranged for a nurse to assess the situation:( so she has arranged for a district nurse to phone me tomorrow to arrange a visit next week to discuss my dads incontinence problems and she will then be able to get some sort of pads and bed protectors sent to my Mum to help her. Having said this I am informed by someone in the know that these pads are awful and when they get wet the Dementia patient almost always pulls them out and throws them across the room:eek: ...hells bells:eek: ....been advised that as well as the pads and protectors from the district nurse, it would be a good idea to buy some proper incontinence pants...but been told they are expensive....£8 to £10 each from Boots:eek: ...so wondered if anyone has had to buy these pants and if there is a place to buy them from that sell in bulk and doesn't charge the earth....any advice would great and keep me sane at the same time:D Thanks:)

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Milly

I'm having similar problems with John. He too tries to go to the toilet at night, and he can manage the pants, but not the pads.

But the pants don't hold as much as the pads, so when he doesn't wake in time, there's a flood!

I'm switching between the two at the moment, trying to find the best solution. (Haven't found it yet!):eek:

If you join Boots health club, you get 10% off all their own brand products.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Incontinence pads

Hi there,

I had to buy pads for quite a while. I bought Tena full pants which are for both men and women. I then started to pester for a nurse to assess us for free incontinece pants as buying enough weekly pants was expensive. After an assessment by a district nurse we were allowed free pants which are identical to the Tena ones I was buying. They are delivered every 2 months to the house which may cause a problem of storage in such large bulks. I store our supply in the garage. I find them excellent and do not need to put any other protective measures in place such as bed protectors. They pull up and down easily and when he is having a good day my husband can do this for himself (doesn't always manage to pee in the toilet though).

My husband wears them night and day. He often wets them during the night and the next morning I find that he has taken off his pyjama bottoms and the pants but thankfully has not had the need to pee again which would then of course wet his matress. He has never thrown them around and even if he had it would not have caused any mess as the urine is absorbed into the pad, just like a baby's nappy.

It is a bit more difficult if he has 'pooed' into the pants. I find that it is best for me if I put him in the bath before trying to take his trousers and pads off, then I hose him down with the shower head. Sorry to be so graphic!!

Do go ahead with the incontinence assessment as I'm sure once you get them they will greatly help your mother. Good luck xx TinaT

MillyP

Jan 5, 2007
London
Thanks for the info....we were told that in our area the district nurse can only offer incontinence pads and bed protectors..if we wanted pants we would have to buy our own:mad: .....did you ask for the pants or were they kind enough to offer them....is there a way round this...do we just ask for them?:)

Gill W

Jan 31, 2007
Co. Durham
Milly

So far we've only been given pads and washable stringy knickers. Mum did try the pants, but they stayed in the drawer unused, so we're continuing with the pads.

The link I left advertises packs of the pants at a reasonable price, so it may be worth just buying one and seeing how they go, then buying in bulk if they are successful.

Best of luck.

Gill
xx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Be demanding

I told the nurse point blank not to bother if she was only giving me pads as they were useless. I think I may have been crying a bit at this point as I was so frustrated with it all. Anyway I got exactly what I asked for!! All I can say is TELL them what YOU need, don't let them fob you off!! The very best of luck as I know how hard it all is. xxx TinaT:D

gerrie ley

Apr 10, 2006
bradford yorkshire
incontinance

Hello I was faced with the same problem with my wife and the the social services visitor arranged for the distrct nurse to call and assess my wife Mollie.I found very helpfull and she left me some medium size incontinance pads and knickers that hold the pad in place.My wife who is hard to please found them comfortable and was able to use them to sleep in and change the following morning.Therfore my advise to you is to wait for the District Nurse if she is like ours she will be very competant ours evan gave me a demonstration as how to use the pads and knickers over her clothes of course and we had a humourous five minutes.

Best of luck gerrie ley

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Milly, I've just been googling, and I'v come up with this site:

http://www.miltonstaydry.co.uk/prodmenu.htm

They'll send you samples of products you're interested in. I'm going to try ringing them tomorrow and see what they suggest.

Tina, in our area they don't supply pants, only pads, and I believe some other areas are the same. Still, there's no harm in asking.

MillyP

Jan 5, 2007
London
No, you're right, there is no harm in asking....I'm not one for sitting back and just accepting things for what they are anymore....as long as I know the district nurses can produce the goods if asked, I will ask....nothing like having a bit of background info to help with your case eh :D Thanks everyone...will take a look at the links...:)

MillyP

Jan 5, 2007
London
UPDATE:

Waited all day Friday for a District Nurse to phone me...by 3pm I had heard nothing so I phoned the number I was given incase I hadn't heard anything....I get through eventually after it being engaged for ages, only to be told that they have no record of my Dads GP surgery getting in touch on the Thursday:mad: they give me lots of excuses and by now I am getting so mad...they tell me that they can't send someone out for an assessment for at least two weeks:eek: because of staff cut backs blah blah....put phone down and immedietly phoned Dads surgery who were also angry;) ...they ring the District nurse to complain and after 15 minutes I get a call from the District nurse who appologies and says she will send someone out today to give my Mum some pads to get on with until an assessment can be booked....ok, better than nothing I suppose...Today arrives and a lovely young male District nurse turns up...ON TIME...and says, as the morning has gone well with no backlogs, he can do an assessment straight away...YIPPEEE:) ... we were so pleased, as you can imagine...anyway he did a urine test as he wanted to check Dad for an infection...all ok there....as Dad is peeing himself at night and sometimes during the day, he decided to fit him with a bag...sorry don't know what they are called...anyone?...it fits onto the male weeing bit and a bag straps to one leg...Dad seems ok with it, although he seems ok with most things at the moment...he can sleep with it on and not worry about wetting the bed...the only thing I think he's gonna find difficult is remembering to empty it:) ....District nurse also left some pads but he felt they would be too small but promised to phone us on Wednesday to check if everything is ok and he's coming back on Friday to do an update....see, it can be done:rolleyes: two weeks indeed:rolleyes:
CPN called aswell today, to see how Dad was and Mum made light of it as usual saying he's doing well and he doesn't wee himself much :eek: much!..only every night, sometimes twice a night and now he's starting during the day:confused: ....I don't understand my Mum, really I don't....she is worn out by the after effects of the operation she's had and now the daily washing she is having to do but she talks to the CPN like it's just a walk in the park on a slightly rainy day....I give up :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Milly

It's an external catheter. They're supposed to be very effective, but wouldn't work for John at the moment because he still gets up in the night, and he'd just pull it off.

Well done for getting some action, it's surprising what they can do when someone pulls rank!

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Pleased to read that you sorted it out .

I was given pads 12 weeks ago , but mum take them off , I see then on the bin in the toilet. when I ask her why she taken it off she saying "she does not need them":rolleyes:

Then when she arrives from social services day center they have put one one her .

My mother can go a week with wearing them , then out of the blue she does not want to wear them , she still go to the toilet , but where she forgets to go to the toilet , or holds it in to long she wets herself by the time she gets to the toilet .

I am running out of them & since I was given the last bunch I have not seen the district nurses again . so I have rang my social worker to get on they case, because its like getting blood out of a stone asking them myself ( district nurses )

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Good for you!!

I echo the well done sentiments - it takes such a lot of frustration and emotion to get anywhere. Why oh why, do we have to fight this inept and obstructive 'system' every time we need something??? I had a similar experience getting an incontinence assessment and again like you, once it was done, everything I needed was quickly put into place!!

Your mum sounds a bit like me. I get a visit from someone or other on my 'care team'. During their visit Ken sits good as gold and I think the visitor will think I am the mad if I tell them what life is really like. It is doubly difficult to tell the truth as Ken is in the same room as us all the time. Perhaps if this wasn't the case I would tell them a little more about how hard it is for me to cope. If you mum is in the same position she may really need dad to be taken out before she can talk honestly and openly.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
TinaT said:
If you mum is in the same position she may really need dad to be taken out before she can talk honestly and openly.

I agree with that, Tina. It's awful having to talk about your husband wetting the bed, and not getting to the loo in time, when he's sitting there listening.

MillyP

Jan 5, 2007
London
To be honest, I always wondered why the CPN and District Nurses etc always choose to talk about the person while they are in the same room...you do wonder just how much they are taking in and whether they are hurt by some of the questions and answers we have to give...I'm afraid I'm alot more honest about the situation than my Mum is....you don't get help form anyone if they get the impression you are coping..:(

Anyway the latest is...during the night Dad took off his external catheter....thanks for help with it's name:D ... he woke Mum up doing it and she told him to leave it alone...he said he didn't need it and wouldn't be wearing it anymore....she said "the nurse is trying to help you"...he was having none of it so she told him to go and empty it in the toilet...while she was downstairs getting something he decided to throw it across the room...it was only in the morning that she discovered it and it had leaked out all over the carpet....Mum said before Dad got ill that she would leave re newing her bedroom carpet until the last room and boy was she right to do that....the carpet is in an awful mess right now, what with Dads accidents etc....Mum was woken by Dad early this morning...he was standing over her demanding she tell him where the front door keys where being hidden as he wanted to go out...she told him he wasn't allowed any keys and he stormed off downstairs to sit and sulk:( ...he's been sleeping on and off ever since.....so now we will wait until the nurse phones on Wednesday and see if he has anymore bright ideas:rolleyes: ...he said there was another type of external catheter that Dad could try if this one wasn't ok...apparently it doesn't have a condom type fitting like this one has, so maybe Dad will feel better about wearing it...though something in my mind tells me this isn't going to be an easy fix like my Mum first thought:( .....

MillyP

Jan 5, 2007
London
UPDATE:

District nurse returned today and went through all the options he could try but none of them seemed ok for Dad...he gave my Mum 3 pairs of special knickers that allow Dad to wear pads at night and they help keep the pads in place...he said "whatever you do, don't tell anyone I gave them to you as they are very strict on what they give out and I'm not really allowed to give these out for free":eek: ....so Dad pays all his life into the NHS system and now when he really needs help they say this:mad: ....what is this country coming to:mad: will let you know how Dad gets on though I'm not gonna hold my breath...:)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Milly, are those the stretchy stockinette ones? I get a packet of those free with the pads. But they don't really help for John. He tries to do to the loo, and there is no way he can manage pad and pants.

Let me know if you have something different.

Love,