Incontinence pads/pull-ups...supplied for free on NHS?

BeaBea

Jan 11, 2018
Does anyone have up-to-date info on whether we can get pads/pull-ups on NHS for (self-funded) relative in a care home?
From previous, quite old posts, I gather this might vary from one NHS Trust to another.
I'd be esp keen to hear from anyone with experience in the Coastal West Sussex area, but all tips and advice gratefully received!

Thanks everyone.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello. My mum is self-funded in a care home in the West Sussex area (near Bognor). She was provided with pads from NHS after a continence assessment around 2 years ago, which the care home manager arranged. I don't believe pull-ups are available from the NHS.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Does anyone have up-to-date info on whether we can get pads/pull-ups on NHS for (self-funded) relative in a care home?
From previous, quite old posts, I gather this might vary from one NHS Trust to another.
I'd be esp keen to hear from anyone with experience in the Coastal West Sussex area, but all tips and advice gratefully received!

Thanks everyone.
Hi. I live in Cornwall. My dad has pull ups on the NHS.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother is in a care home and started using incontinence pads about a year ago. At that time, the manager told me the NHS would supply three pads a day, and if more than that were needed my mother would have to pay. I've not yet been asked for any money so they must be coping with the free supplies.

BeaBea

Jan 11, 2018
Thanks for the replies so far. As I suspected, there is some variation geographically, so perhaps sthng of a postcode lottery!
Any more feedback much appreciated.

Joyboy

Apr 29, 2020
My husband has been in a nursing home in Scotland since last November after breaking both his hips due to falls. Before this he was able to walk without aids and was not incontient. Now he is in a wheelchair most of the time and is doubly incontinent and needs 24 hour care (which doesn't really exist). The home provided small pads, like nappies, and my husband was leaking on a regular basis, which was very upsetting for both of us. One of the careers suggested pull up pants as they fit better than pads and in the main avoid leakage. I have been buying these from Amazon, cost approx £5 per pack for 8 pants, I provide the home with two packs per week which seems to suffice and avoids leakage and distress. The lockdown has been hell for people with dementia. After about 6 weeks into lockdown when I visited my husband through the door or window he just sat in his wheelchair with his head down and wouldn't look up and got quite aggressive with the staff, which he had never been before .... they loved him. This was very distressing for me as I love him so much and hated to see him like this. We have been married for 54 years, met when I was 16 and he was 18. However since we have had garden visits once a week he is much happier. The staff leave me in the garden with him and I sit and hold his hand and tell him how much I love him and miss him. I keep hand sanitizer in my handbag and use this regularly. I really think that being able to touch your loved one makes a big difference to their wellbeing. During lockdown it has been really hard for dementia patients and their families. It is a very cruel disease and if you haven't experienced it nobody really understands and thinks that it is all to do with memory loss! Sorry for the ramble but feeling quite sad tonight sitting looking at my husbands chair thinking that he should be sitting in it, not down the road in a nursing home. This is not the life we planned ... 'Grow old with me, the best is yet to come'. Love and hugs to you all out there. xx

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
If you have an Aldi nearby they sell pull-ups at less than £4 for a pack of 8/9 depending on size. I think NHS only provide pull-ups for PWD who live alone and can’t manage pads otherwise they get the pads which are cheaper.

BeaBea

Jan 11, 2018
Thank you so much for replying and I'm really sorry for what you've had to go through, but glad to hear the garden visits have helped. Lockdown definitely made a bad situation so much worse, but we can at least be thankful we still have our loved-ones with us. and have so many years of wonderful memories.
I hope today has been a brighter one for you. All the best.

BeaBea

Jan 11, 2018
My husband has been in a nursing home in Scotland since last November after breaking both his hips due to falls. Before this he was able to walk without aids and was not incontient. Now he is in a wheelchair most of the time and is doubly incontinent and needs 24 hour care (which doesn't really exist). The home provided small pads, like nappies, and my husband was leaking on a regular basis, which was very upsetting for both of us. One of the careers suggested pull up pants as they fit better than pads and in the main avoid leakage. I have been buying these from Amazon, cost approx £5 per pack for 8 pants, I provide the home with two packs per week which seems to suffice and avoids leakage and distress. The lockdown has been hell for people with dementia. After about 6 weeks into lockdown when I visited my husband through the door or window he just sat in his wheelchair with his head down and wouldn't look up and got quite aggressive with the staff, which he had never been before .... they loved him. This was very distressing for me as I love him so much and hated to see him like this. We have been married for 54 years, met when I was 16 and he was 18. However since we have had garden visits once a week he is much happier. The staff leave me in the garden with him and I sit and hold his hand and tell him how much I love him and miss him. I keep hand sanitizer in my handbag and use this regularly. I really think that being able to touch your loved one makes a big difference to their wellbeing. During lockdown it has been really hard for dementia patients and their families. It is a very cruel disease and if you haven't experienced it nobody really understands and thinks that it is all to do with memory loss! Sorry for the ramble but feeling quite sad tonight sitting looking at my husbands chair thinking that he should be sitting in it, not down the road in a nursing home. This is not the life we planned ... 'Grow old with me, the best is yet to come'. Love and hugs to you all out there. xx
Thank you so much for replying and I'm really sorry for what you've had to go through, but glad to hear the garden visits have helped. Lockdown definitely made a bad situation so much worse, but we can at least be thankful we still have our loved-ones with us. and have so many years of wonderful memories.
I hope today has been a brighter one for you. All the best.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan