incontinence issues

bclark

Feb 15, 2008
greenhithe kent
hi TP, since Alans return from the emi hospital i think i could do with a course on manual handling alans less flexible now trying to get him into his bed and the bath and dressing him, is taking its toll on me, the nurse said it could be alans tablets making him less mobile, understand now why he had 2 nurses, i have half a hour twice a day with kcc carer, but find i have to help them, have picked up a few tips from them, also alans more confused in the toilet i let him wear incontinence pants just in case of an accident, and at night getting tired of taking him to the toilet and nothing happening, any advise appreciated thanks as always b clark :)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi, huge sympathy on the issues you have, I know what it's like.

John is in an EMI unit simply because of the physical difficulty of handling him He has no behavioural problems, and I'd love to have him home, but it takes three people to move him, even with a standaid.

Continence issues are also difficult in this borderline stage, I found it very hard to handle.

Do you have a kylie sheet for the bed? They make a great difference, because you don't have to change the whole bed when there is an accident. If you google 'kylie sheets', you should get lots of pages.

I found with John that taking hiom to the toilet just didn't work, he didn't know what was expected. Very frustrating when we were going out! I just had to wait for him to decide to go, and by that time it was often too late.

I found pull-up pants were much easier than pads for a man to manage.

Sorry, not much practical help, just lots of sympathy.:)

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Incontinence. Bladder

I contacted the Continence Advisory Service. For our area.

Wonderful women came along, wonderfull:)

A sheath is fitted to the gentleman, bit like a condom.

Attached to this is a plastic tube which leads to a bag.
This allows the person to pee all night long, no mess, no need for sheets, OK, there might be a slight accident sometimes (like on holiday), so, still put a protective sheet underneath for your matress.;) And that is only because my hubby tried to pull it off:)

During the day He wears a condom (sheath) attached to a leg bag. Wonderfull:)
No rushing to the toilet now. Thank goodness, no more wet bathroom floors.And, if you are out, no more looking for a toilet.

Barb XX

bclark

Feb 15, 2008
greenhithe kent
Thank you for your posts everyone, will contact continence adviser i would appreciate any links on this issue, i think today i have realised alan is incontinent at least with urine the other seems to be a constipation problem keep giving him medicine prescribed nothing is happening, he is completely lost in the toilet, so i must except this stop trying to get him to do something that seems alien to him, i was just surprised at the decline in him since his visit to the emi unit, bclark:)

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
the other seems to be a constipation problem keep giving him medicine prescribed nothing is happening, he is completely lost in the toilet,

When my mother stated to get contraption, I also gave my mother medication for it . I don’t know why but it never seems to help. So to balance her digestive system out a career that washes mum gave me a few tips otherwise what was happening with mum she not do a number 2 for a week them all of the sudden it all bust out all over the toilet floor

I put few sultanas in my mother cereal, to help her with her constipation it’s also a natural sweetener as my diabetic. Prunes also help, those little bottle of fresh orange juice, Mum also like fresh melon, also those little natural pots of mix fresh fruit with the juice in them that are in the chillier fridge in the supermarket

Seeing that your husband in a Nursing home, they see to his diet, So could you not ask them to give your husband a high fiber diet for breakfast or you bring them in for your husband .

Last edited:

bclark

Feb 15, 2008
greenhithe kent
thank you for your reply, i will try the natural food remedies, my husband is home now from the emi unit, sorry my post may have
not made it clear alan is home. been home now a week. i hope my SW does not turn out to be a chocolate teapot as i need practical advice in the home and bathroom. bclark:)

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
:( i have realised alan is incontinent at least with urine the other seems to be a constipation problem keep giving him medicine prescribed nothing is happening

Nor will it:( re the constipation.
Ron has not been for 8 days.
No, last night did not work.
What do I have to do.
Ron has a well balanced diet.
I think it is due to lack of exersise.

Barb:(

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I think it's because people with advanced dementia do not remember that they have to push -- or how to do it! It's like taking them to the toilet when they don't feel the urge -- they don't know what they're expected to do.

Barb, if it's as bad as that, perhaps you should see a doctor? Ron may need an enema.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I think it is due to lack of exersise.

Thats a good point, so look it up found this Link .

Common Causes Of Constipation

* Not enough fiber in diet.
* Not enough liquids.
* Lack of exercise.
* Medications.
* Irritable bowel syndrome.
* Changes in life or routine such as pregnancy, older age, and travel.
* Abuse of laxatives.
* Ignoring the urge to have a bowel movement.
* Specific diseases such as multiple sclerosis and lupus.
* Problems with the colon and rectum.
* Problems with intestinal function (Chronic idiopathic constipation.http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/930592170.html

Good point in that link is Not Enough water , as people with Dementia ether forgets to drink or even if given water like I do to my mother, she won’t drink it . So that why I also encourage mum to eat fruits with water in them like Melon , as she tell me it “freshest her mouth “it’s like she gone of water. Does not like drinking water or another drink, but small cups of tea or those little bottle of fresh orange juice

Last edited:

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Hazel & Maggie

Barb, if it's as bad as that, perhaps you should see a doctor? Ron may need an enema.

Maybe
But tonight, the thing I dread 3 tablets.
Let the %^&&**££$$ begin:(
If that does not work, I have the equipment;) I can do "the business":D get it:D No, I can. Have had practice. Done it before.

:D
Barb XX
PS
No one was, or will be hurt in the sending of this message:D
That includes Ron XX

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Flag is up on the flag pole

:D
Was not as bad as I thought;)
Thank goodness.
The council will send me a bill, ref: blocked drains:D

Got to laugh.

Barb & Ron XX

misty misty

Nov 17, 2008
help with incontinence

Hello

Advice needed please.

Where can I (on behalf of my father-in-law) get advice about how to deal with his wife's faecal incontinence. I'm afraid she has refused to wear incontinence pads or pants. She doesn't make it to the toilet in time. It happens at all times of day and night. Accidents are far too frequent now and he simply can't cope. He wont ask for help himself.
I'm sure there are people out there who have been in similar situations. Any help would be appreciated!

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi misty

I really don't know what to suggest if your mil refuses to wear pads or pants. What an awful problem!

Has your fil seen the continence advisor? If not, you can get a referral either through their GP or SW. She may have some advice.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, this is a new one on me!:eek: My husband had a problem with pads, but was happy to wear pull-ups.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Dear Misty

Get the pull up pants. Ladies.
They look OK.
Make no fuss, just tell her you have bought her new knickers. That is only if the lady comments;)
Otherwise, just carry on as normal.

Barb XX

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks, Barb, you've reminded me! Someone recently said she had removed her mum's pants from the drawer and put a pile of pull-ups in their place. Her mum just used them without comment. She never saw the packet.

It could be that your mum is embarrassed about her problem, and doesn't want to admit to it. This way means she doesn't have to.