Incontinence, infection and intolerance

paddyr

Jun 1, 2013
Incontinence, infection and intolerance

This vicious circle is broken temporarily by an antibiotic but in my wife's case, advanced Alzheimer's Disease, it has recurred three times in the last year. Any experience?

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I haven't had that problem, but I think it's because it's my dad with AD. Could it be more common for women due to the anatomy? Sorry if I'm being indelicate, but women may simply be more susceptible, especially when incontinence is a factor. You're quite right, a vicious cycle. I'm so sorry.

Stephanie, xxx

Kebuck2012

Nov 28, 2012
It seems to come with the territory my mum was badly effected by d&v that led to uti which led to a fall which led to hospital. Etc etc

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Yep its our anatomy, guys very rarely get UTI's but women get them all the time, with mum its like every month.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Yes, women are much more likely to get UTI's than men. This is because the urethra in women - that's the tube that carries urine from the bladder to the outside - is much shorter, which means bacteria have an much easier path to the bladder. In fact UTI's in men are so unusual that a single instance, and certainly multiple infections, trigger further investigations because it is likely there is an underlying problem - this is most commonly prostate problems.

Older people are also more vulnerable because their immune systems are less active. Also, people with dementia may have poor toilet hygiene which makes them vulnerable.

So unfortunately, elderly women with dementia are very prone to these infections.

The best preventativ eis good hygiene and drinking lots, which helps to flush the bladder (and incidentally helps keep the kidneys healthy too). Cranberry juice may help. Cranberry extract tablets are just as good if you don't like the juice.

Some women - and a few men - may also get cystitis; this just means inflammation of the bladder. The most common caus eis bacterial infection so in women it is normally assumed ot be a UTI. There are, however, other causes.

A simple dipstick test will usually detect a UTI, even one which produces no obvious symptoms. A healthy young adult probably gets UTI's without ever knowing about them.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
My husband does have prostate cancer and he gets UTIs He has had 2 in the last 3 months. He is not able to have cranberry juice as he is on warfarin.

I certainly drink cranberry every morning,

It does seem to be a recurring cycle

Jeannette

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Don't take cranberry juice and cranberry tablets together as they don't work together (effects of one cancel the other, so I remember from pharmacology lecture), take one or the other.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I used to take the tablets on holiday as it was not always possible to get cranberry juice to drink at bed and breakfast establishments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts