Incontinence In Dementia

Bella Cleo

Aug 31, 2013
Hello, this is my first post on this website. I hope I can get some guidance please. I have found the site so helpful at times of such uncertainty. My mother was diagnosed with altzhimers in 2013 she has done well considering all the challenges and I have watched various stages of this cruel disease take away her abilities to string coherent sentences together and care for herself. Mum lives with my father who is 89 and does amazingly well. He called me this morning to tell me there was water and feces in the kitchen on the floor and spots up the stairs. I have been dreading this point in the disease and hope it could just be a one off for now. Sadly I may be kidding myself as I saw my grandmother go through this cruel disease. Can anyone shed some light on when and at what stage the incontinence starts? Thank you.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Your GP should refer you to the Incontinence clinic for your mother. They will advise and supply you with free pads. You might also want to start her now in pull-ups during the day. On her bed it is best to use kylie sheets which are easily changed as they hold the water and prevent the mattress being damaged. I work with 3 kylie sheets - 1 on the bed and two washed and ready for changing. I have also started using plastic pants on my husband over the pads. It is an ongoing problem.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
@marionq has given excellent advice. Would just add, with the kylie sheets, when washing them, you mustn't use any fabric conditioner or those "combined" detergents that have fabric softener added. The fabric conditioner prevents the sheet from being absorbant, and the liquid just runs off and onto the bed!

Bella Cleo

Aug 31, 2013
Thank you so much for your help. I will made an apmt for the GP tomorrow and order the Kylie sheets and thanks for the tip about fabric conditioner. I was dreading this stage of the illness