incontinence has arrived

tuffydawn

Mar 30, 2015
oh now wets the bed every night or wees on the floor frequently have to change his clothes during the day he is wearing pads now but they don't keep him completely dry such a sad sign that things are getting worse

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Signs of the advancing illness are always hard to see, aren't they? And of course, on a practical level, incontinence brings with it a lot more work.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
I have always told my kids that is the line in the sand for me. But I am not sure it will be in the end. But I am lucky so far it has not been an issue. Grateful for that and for today that it is not a decision today.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I have always told my kids that is the line in the sand for me. But I am not sure it will be in the end. But I am lucky so far it has not been an issue. Grateful for that and for today that it is not a decision today.
Yes I thought that was my red line too but I have been trying to adapt and adjust to increasing accidents. Pads, kylie sheets, underpants with waterproof fronts, carpet protectors, electric carpet shampooer, lifting for the toilet at 1 am and 6 am. We can keep going a bit longer I think. It does tell you though that the illness is worsening and that control is going.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Incontinence in someone with dementia (as apposed to those "oops" moments) is certainly a bit of a game changer for us carers?

I remember being totally overwhelmed when my wife started having problems and went through a whole range of suggested solutions (liners, pads etc). I ended up using Tena Super pull-ups (other makes are available:)) which she took to wearing okay. They seem to contain things most of the time, with only occasional leakage, thankfully usually at night.

After a few weeks of having to launder the bed sheets, mattress protectors etc, I followed the recommendations from others on TP and bought a couple of washable "kylie" type protectors (the 86cm x 89cm approx type, rather than a whole sheet), which she seems fine to lay on. This way, I only have to wash her PJ's and protector, which is a whole load easier.

I was fortunate that after having purchased the pull-ups for around 9 months, I managed to get our NHS incontinence service to provide these for free (enough for 4 a day, in out area).

Again, following advice, I started trying what some call "preemptive toileting", where I take my wife to the loo at regular intervals. It's not fool proof, as she doesn't always "go" (others will relate to the amount of time spent hanging around waiting), but I do think it has helped her retain some sense of control. It has also reduced the number of pants she needs, meaning I have built up a bit of a stock, which is my safety net for when she does get through more.

A lot obviously depends on the person being cooperative with wearing the various products, so it's a case of trial and error.

Good luck@tuffydawn