Incontinence early signs

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
Does urinary incontinence always appear before faecal incontinence or is it an either / or situation?
Not into a full on incontinence situation but there's been a few little poopy accidents recently.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
@AbbyGee It's generally urinary incontinence first but there may be an intestinal issue causing problems or might be certain foods speeding things up. Has the person been unwell lately or eaten rich or different foods than usual. I have noticed for myself that certain foods can have an adverse effect on me.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
Thanks, @Canadian Joanne
No change in diet. He's recently been a bit picky about food and doesn't have a great appetite generally although he'll eat a decent amount at breakfast time. Just wish he'd be more open to suggestions for a change from his usual.
He's been prescribed Laxido for constipation but I don't give him that every day.
I think it's possibly more a case of 'runny wind' but thought I'd pose the question anyway.
Bought some Aldi pull-ups today and was surprised how amenable he was to the idea of using them 'just in case' on the rare occasions we venture out.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
@AbbyGee it could be a carry-over from the Laxido. Great that he responded to the 'just in case' pull-ups! You might want to try on days you are not going out, just to see his reaction. Maybe say something like 'We could go to xyz later, so justin case.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
@Canadian Joanne Good idea about 'going out later.'
As an alternative - I could suggest it tomorrow (the two hour sitter visit's due) under the pretext that I may need to go out and he'd be safe without me being there to accompany him to the bathroom for his rear end inspection sessions! I'm sure I won't be going out though as I never know who's going to arrive and I have no intention of simply handing him over to some stranger.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
My mother in law seemed to have faecal incontinence first, but that might have been because the evidence was more obvious. I did wonder if there was some underlying problem, but I don't think one was discovered.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
Constipation is a common problem in people with dementia and older people generally but it can result in the leakage of soft stool which is not diarrhoea.