Incontinence and UTi's

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Mum 74 with moderate AD, started about 2 mths ago with occasional urinary incontinence. This was evident by the many prs of underwear she was washing and sometimes her pants. In the beginning she was tested for a UTI, which was all OK.

Tena pads are a complete disaster...
She will use them one day, and then forget to use them the next.. disposes of them in the recycle bin instead of the rubbish bin :eek:... doesn't take the adhesive strip of carefully and they get caught up and stick together, so are ruined.
I suggested pants, that got met with a firm NO! but then what would pants solve other than not having the adhesive backing?

Now she has a UTI, (aslo mildly dehydrated) and I'm sure its probably from having wet underwear all the time? So now on anti B's.
She washes several prs of undies a day and obsessively hides them away at the back of the house from anyone who can see, including Dad :rolleyes: She doesn't want anyone knowing her business ( is fine with me knowing tho)
Dad with MCI is absolutely no help in this situation and gets angry with her if she wets herself.

I can arrange for the Incontinence Nurse to see her, and I know this would provide Mum with incontinence pads/pants at no cost, but really I cannot see the point beyond that? She is obviously not going to remember anything they tell her.
Unless she has someone there 24/7 to monitor her toileting, changing and disposal of pads, and making sure she drinks plenty, I'm at a loss.

My parents live behind me in their own house, but I cannot be there 24/7.:(

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
Mum 74 with moderate AD, started about 2 mths ago with occasional urinary incontinence. This was evident by the many prs of underwear she was washing and sometimes her pants. In the beginning she was tested for a UTI, which was all OK.

Tena pads are a complete disaster...
She will use them one day, and then forget to use them the next.. disposes of them in the recycle bin instead of the rubbish bin :eek:... doesn't take the adhesive strip of carefully and they get caught up and stick together, so are ruined.
I suggested pants, that got met with a firm NO! but then what would pants solve other than not having the adhesive backing?

Now she has a UTI, (aslo mildly dehydrated) and I'm sure its probably from having wet underwear all the time? So now on anti B's.
She washes several prs of undies a day and obsessively hides them away at the back of the house from anyone who can see, including Dad :rolleyes: She doesn't want anyone knowing her business ( is fine with me knowing tho)
Dad with MCI is absolutely no help in this situation and gets angry with her if she wets herself.

I can arrange for the Incontinence Nurse to see her, and I know this would provide Mum with incontinence pads/pants at no cost, but really I cannot see the point beyond that? She is obviously not going to remember anything they tell her.
Unless she has someone there 24/7 to monitor her toileting, changing and disposal of pads, and making sure she drinks plenty, I'm at a loss.

My parents live behind me in their own house, but I cannot be there 24/7.:(
my MIl has VD and occasionally wets or messes herself we buy her tena pants which incontinence services will not provide .she has these every day and night and had no utis since. she is living with u so easier to montor infact I have to go with her now to toilet as she does not wipe or flush .canot always find toilet either which is odd but that's dementia . .we found just using these not normal pants all the time much better