Incontinence advice

Bettysue

Mar 21, 2020
Can anyone advise what type of incontinence pads/pants are best for night time? My partner currently has a mattress protector and a kylie pad which protects the bed. He wears pull ups as he can’t easily remove them. The kylie is washed daily. Every morning,however, he is soaked through his pyjamas top and bottom. It must be really unpleasant for him but I’ve not found anything which can keep him reasonably dry overnight.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I use Vivactive slips SUPER, which generally seem to work pretty well. I think slips are more absorbent than pull-ups, even if both are rated super. If you have problems with him interfering with them, you can get adult sleep suits that do up at the back. I haven't needed to use one, but some on here have had success.

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Hi,

My husband has the same problem, I feel stressed about it. Doctor is sending a tablet called Oxybutynin to see if will help, meant to stop the urge to urinate so much at night as might be because of an enlarged prostrate as late 60s. Also turning a pair of incontinence pants around helps a little but use a large pad at one side and another pair of incontinence pants on top.

My mornings are difficult. I except he is incontinent due to Alzheimer's but I just want the leakage not to be so bad.

Hope this message can help you as I now how it feels!

Reds

Bettysue

Mar 21, 2020
Thanks for your replies. I’m going to try a few combinations of pads etc to see if I can improve the situation.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Is he on any tablets that might be making it worse? We had a terrible problem when Mum was on Donepezil, but it got better when it was stopped. It may be a matter of adujsting the timings, if they can't be stopped / changed.

Pots and Pans

Jan 13, 2020
Donepezil made things worse? Was wondering about asking about a lower dose for OH as his functional incontinence causes him a lot of distress. He did really well on initial dose of Donepezil and it was then doubled without much more benefit but incontinence came on a month or so later.
NB he has no night-time incontinence at all, just not able to hold if leaves it too long to go to loo. Wears a pad after a bad day and then when ok all day won't wear one again... then does it again!
Am also removing coffee as this seems to make worse.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Donepezil made things worse? Was wondering about asking about a lower dose for OH as his functional incontinence causes him a lot of distress. He did really well on initial dose of Donepezil and it was then doubled without much more benefit but incontinence came on a month or so later.
NB he has no night-time incontinence at all, just not able to hold if leaves it too long to go to loo. Wears a pad after a bad day and then when ok all day won't wear one again... then does it again!
tea is a diuretic as well.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
One of the side effects is excess urination. It wasn't the reason we stopped it, but, whilst on it, Mum would pee a lot at night. She could go to the loo 3 or 4 times, and still soak the pull-ups.
If you can't see any improvement at the higher dose, it might be worth discussing with his doctors.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
try a non-alcoholic/low alcohol wine @Pots and Pans - decant into a bottle of his favourite if you need a disguise - if he realises just say how surprising it is that wines can be corked !
I even gave dad grape juice and he didn't say a word ... it was sad, as he'd once known a lot about wine

Pots and Pans

Jan 13, 2020
One of the side effects is excess urination. It wasn't the reason we stopped it, but, whilst on it, Mum would pee a lot at night. She could go to the loo 3 or 4 times, and still soak the pull-ups.
If you can't see any improvement at the higher dose, it might be worth discussing with his doctor
try a non-alcoholic/low alcohol wine @Pots and Pans - decant into a bottle of his favourite if you need a disguise - if he realises just say how surprising it is that wines can be corked !
I even gave dad grape juice and he didn't say a word ... it was sad, as he'd once known a lot about wine

If you can't see any improvement at the higher dose, it might be worth discussing with his doctors.
@lollyc thanks So tricky as haven't seen consultant since November (one phone convo end January and awaiting appointment now) and we are not yet seen by local memory clinic ( referred last July).
Donepezil might be causing the incontinence issue...
Memantine might be making him shaky on his feet...
Basically lower doses of each might be advantageous...

GP wouldn't be worth asking (hasn't seen OH for more than a year, and not at all since diagnosis). But when it is 6 months between face to face appointments, habits get established. But interesting to know it was a side effect for your mum so this helps when I do get to talk to consultant as I won't sound as though I am just floating a vague idea. So thanks. And fingers crossed it doesn't start happening at night. Did your mum take her pill at night or in the morning? OH takes his at night.

Pots and Pans

Jan 13, 2020
@Shedrech thanks. Don't need to disguise or lie yet. OH understands drinks could cause problem... he has plenty of capacity still which is why this particular issue bothers him so much. We already both drink no-alcohol beer all the time. Single glass of wine sometimes with dinner. The daytime drinks are harder. Aware fluids need to be kept up but am weaning us off our coffee habit... it does seem to lessen the problem. Mostly happens when he gets frustrated about not being able to do something and spiral down goes from frustration to bad temper to stomping off to incontinence! Result equals more bad temper (my fault suddenly) to depression. Life would be a lot easier if we could lessen incidents - though I know from other posts how this is likely to increase if anything. But if it happens later when he had less awareness wouldn't be so bad for him.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
@lollyc thanks So tricky as haven't seen consultant since November (one phone convo end January and awaiting appointment now) and we are not yet seen by local memory clinic ( referred last July). Donepezil might be causing the incontinence issue... Memantine might be making him shaky on his feet... Basically lower doses of each might be advantageous... GP wouldn't be worth asking (hasn't seen OH for more than a year, and not at all since diagnosis). But when it is 6 months between face to face appointments, habits get established. But interesting to know it was a side effect for your mum so this helps when I do get to talk to consultant as I won't sound as though I am just floating a vague idea. So thanks. And fingers crossed it doesn't start happening at night. Did your mum take her pill at night or in the morning? OH takes his at night.
@lollyc thanks So tricky as haven't seen consultant since November (one phone convo end January and awaiting appointment now) and we are not yet seen by local memory clinic ( referred last July).
Donepezil might be causing the incontinence issue...
Memantine might be making him shaky on his feet...
Basically lower doses of each might be advantageous...

GP wouldn't be worth asking (hasn't seen OH for more than a year, and not at all since diagnosis). But when it is 6 months between face to face appointments, habits get established. But interesting to know it was a side effect for your mum so this helps when I do get to talk to consultant as I won't sound as though I am just floating a vague idea. So thanks. And fingers crossed it doesn't start happening at night. Did your mum take her pill at night or in the morning? OH takes his at night.
I can't remember whether she took it in the morning or at night.
We had no follow-ups from memory clinic - everything was / is done by GP.

Pots and Pans

Jan 13, 2020
I can't remember whether she took it in the morning or at night.
We had no follow-ups from memory clinic - everything was / is done by GP.
@lollyc thanks. We see a consultant (since last July when first referred, every couple of months, but Covid stopped that so not seen since last year). GP was sending a nurse round when OH came out of hospital after a fall last March referred to consultant when their treatments not working ( included antipsychotic and sleeping pills). That's when we got diagnosis and started on Donepezil, which was brilliant. GP not involved since - just gets copy of anything consultant says. Just wish we could see him more often as thus dirt if issue us where his expertise is needed. Thank goodness for this forum as others experience helps so much. Otherwise sometimes feel like blundering in the dark, or like Canute - trying to hold back the incoming tide!

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I think this highlights the differences in care across the country.
I assumed that a referral to memory clinic would result in regular follow-ups, nurse contacts etc., - rather like what you get with a cancer diagnosis. But no, we were set adrift and left ot get on with it.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
the memory clinic did the test and gave us diagnosis. never saw consultant, never seen again but did refer to alz.soc. and admiral nurses. left for our gp to pick up if we have problems. all we saw was a memory clinic nurse. i wonder if its because he has vascular dementia and there are no tablets etc to slow it down as there is with alzheimers?