Incontinence advice please

AuntPettitoes

Jun 21, 2023
my mum has Alzheimer’s and I think it’s time for incontinence pants but i haven’t yet broached the subject … I was hoping to source some nice looking ones first, ones more like “normal” knickers. Are the brands such as Modhi worth the money, and how absorbent are they (just slight leakage or would they hold up to a bit more?) Also if anyone has advice to offer on how to convince her to wear them I’m all ears! Currently her view is mostly that I’m treating her like “an idiot” (her words) if I try to help or suggest ways to make her/our life easier, and she usually ignores me or deliberately does the opposite so I’m assuming that when I give them to her she’ll either be annoyed and refuse them or smirk and say “yeah, right” and put them in a drawer with no intention of using. She’s still able to dress herself and chooses her clothes etc so it wouldn’t be right of me to interfere, she’s still very physically independent which makes it hard for her to see if she needs help. she doesn’t realise her bed or underwear is sometimes wet. I’ve bought a waterproof bed sheet but she won’t notice that as it’ll be under the bedsheet, it’s getting her to wear the protective underwear that I think will be an issue.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Do you take her in your car? That was my line in the sand- either you put these on to go in the car, or we are not going.
tena do black pull ups, and some flesh coloured ones with a mauve butterfly on, as well as white

AuntPettitoes

Jun 21, 2023
Do you take her in your car? That was my line in the sand- either you put these on to go in the car, or we are not going.
tena do black pull ups, and some flesh coloured ones with a mauve butterfly on, as well as white
That’s worth a try. She’ll probably refuse to go (it’ll be just my luck it’s a time when I need her to go somewhere!).
How do you check? Mum’s not at the stage where she I have to dress her, and she’s quite good at saying she’s done something when she might not have done, like she’ll say she’s had lunch but I’ll find no evidence of anything being eaten, or that she’s been somewhere I know she hasn’t (she thinks she has though).