Incontenence pads dry

izzie

Jul 4, 2007
Hertfordshire
Hello,

Mum is in late stage, bedridden, limited vocab and doubly incontinent. I care for her at home.

Can anyone tell me how many dry pads in a day are cause for concern.

Mum tends to have one dry pad a day. But today she's had two in a row. The carers have made a big thing about it and informing me. Should I be worried?

Her condition is very variable. She is ebbing away slowly. But she doesn't seem to be uncomfortable or anxious.

Help advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Dry pads need investigating.

If she has insufficient fluid intake - depends on her weight but aim at ~2 litres/day - she is at risk of dehydration.

If she has sufficient fluid intake are her legs or stomach swelling?

Try and record a fluid intake and contact the GP.

izzie

Jul 4, 2007
Hertfordshire
Thanks for relpy,

She has suffered from kidney failure due to dehydration and she was hosptialised. But I wasn't carrying for her then.

she's getting between 800ml and 1000ml per day. I cant get anymore in her. I have noticed a reduction in her urine output. DNurses say its normal with her condition and her kidneys aging.

She doesn't have any swelling at present. Is this a sign of the end?

Dry pads need investigating.

If she has insufficient fluid intake - depends on her weight but aim at ~2 litres/day - she is at risk of dehydration.

If she has sufficient fluid intake are her legs or stomach swelling?

Try and record a fluid intake and contact the GP.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My wife had AKI (acute kidney injury) so I can empathise with you.

You could weight the used pads and subtract the weight of a dry pad to get an estimate of urine output - 1 gram is 1 ml - then together with fluid intake you could present an estimate of fluid balance to the GP.