Incontenance

cake4tea

Jan 22, 2014
Hi

How do other people deal with incontenance. My mom has Alzheimer's and I have this week had to throw out three pairs of pants due to soiling. She goes made if I mention personal care as she does not think she has a problem. She uses Tena pads in the day and night-time pads as night. I have been looking after her fulltime since she broke her hip in December and everything has gone well. But this is one area I have a real problem with. She can go to the toilet herself, but sometimes, I don't know how, she will come out with some staining on her clothes. if I mention it to her, we end up arguing which I know is due to fright and embrassment. Any advice on how to approach this in a better way would be much appreciated. She does know when she wants to go to the toilet.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
We are getting pads free through the Continence Service though not enough as the pull-up pants are deemed cosmetic. I've had to buy waterproof mattress and pillow covers plus Kylie sheets that I put on the bed during the night and on the sofa during the day. They are very soft and comfy to lie on and draw the moisture away from the body. With incontinence you have to be alert to possible skin irritation so showers/washing of the affected area is important as is getting proper skin creams. OH is on repeat prescription for Doublebase which is an emollient.

I am afraid I can't help much with the compliance issue as OH is docile like a lamb.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
If your county wont supply, buy pull ups, just leave them out as 'todays pants' -

''so much easier for you mum''

Don't even discuss

if she'll use pads , hopefully it shouldnt be too difficult a transition.

dede5177

Feb 5, 2015
Nuneaton
Hi

How do other people deal with incontenance. My mom has Alzheimer's and I have this week had to throw out three pairs of pants due to soiling. She goes made if I mention personal care as she does not think she has a problem. She uses Tena pads in the day and night-time pads as night. I have been looking after her fulltime since she broke her hip in December and everything has gone well. But this is one area I have a real problem with. She can go to the toilet herself, but sometimes, I don't know how, she will come out with some staining on her clothes. if I mention it to her, we end up arguing which I know is due to fright and embrassment. Any advice on how to approach this in a better way would be much appreciated. She does know when she wants to go to the toilet.

Had this with my mom last year she had a period of incontinence, though now is much improved and refuses to wear pads in the day though I purchase all on the market, what I have had to do is buy wet toilet wipes and then I follow her to the toilet and pass her the wet wipes reminding her "we all use them to keep clean instead of toilet paper though that can be used for drying" otherwise she will use other items in the bathroom. I have to turn away and look in the cabinets so she has some privacy. Now its only a problem if I pass care to my sisters who aren't always vigilant. Remind your loved one you are trying to help but need her co-operation lay out some options and try to work through them.

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
I would also go pully ups too. At least worth a try. If you have to buy them then try a very large chemist chain version of them. You know the one like a Wellington (the chemist, not the pully up). My father uses these and they work a treat.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
I follow her to the toilet and pass her the wet wipes

I didn't know you shouldn't flush wet wipes down the loo because they can block it ... just warning other people who may not know either!

cebhh

May 2, 2014
We replaced mums ordinary pants with adult pull on nappies. She got very upset when we said the word 'pads' so we gradually starated to call them her pants and we've not had a problem since. She accepts these now. Sometimes she tries to rinse them in the sink so we have to discreetly dispose them for her !