Inappropriate Behaviour

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Hi,

My OH is 63 and was diagnosed 18 months ago with Early Onset Alzheimer's.

My concerns are that his behaviour is at times becoming more and more inappropriate. It began just with reacting inappropriately to the news on TV and to other people when they announced bad news.

Now it has started to become more of a concern. We were out yesterday walking along a pathway, when he seemed to drop back. I stopped and saw that he had pulled his shorts down and was doing a poo alongside the side of the path. I couldn't believe what I saw; OH naked from the waist down. This pathway is used by lots of folks, many of them families with young children. Fortunately there were no children passing at that particular moment. He would have been mortified if he had fully understood what he had done.

This is just one example, but I am finding his inappropriate behaviour more and more stressful. When we go out together, I feel as if I have a tight band around my chest; just not knowing what he is going to do or say next.

I really want us to make the most of the time we can share together and now that I have given up work, I was hoping that 2015 would be a year when I could organise lots of trips and outings for us. Now I am wondering if I dare.

Does anyone have any experience of this? I'd be grateful for any help or advice.

Many thanks,
JJx

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My first reaction would be to check for any infection especially a UTI.

Even apparently asymptomatic infections can produce acute confusion.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I am not surprised you have a tight band of worry round your chest, how very difficult. I am sure you want to continue to be able to go out with your husband, and some degree of inappropriate behaviour is ok and people just have to accept it as it doesn't do any harm, but obviously what you describe is not ok. (that;s my opinion anyway, others may differ)
I would definitely get him an appointment with the GP as mentioned above, does he have a Community Psychiatric Nurse? that might be another good person to contact.

I think one of the worst and most difficult aspects of dementia of any kind is the unpredictability of it all.
I hope you get some useful help from someone. I wish I had some better ideas for you

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Thanks to both.

I think you are right. A trip to the GP will be the best thing to do.

JJ x

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Oh JigJog I am so sorry to hear this. How truly awful for you and your OH. The advice you already have and your determination to start with the GP is just right. I can imagine a little of how it is for you as my OH can be pretty unpredictable at times, but nothing so very hard for others to countenance as you are experiencing. Do please visit us often. There is a vast wealth of experience of all shapes and sizes here and TPers are THE most supportive people. Do lean our way, you will find us strong and dependable. X :)

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Awww thank you so much for this Rathbone. I feel so much better after receiving the warmth of your reply.

JJx

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
When you take him to the GP don't forget to take a urine sample, if you can't arrange an appointment on Monday arrange to take a sample in to be tested. Prompt action with all infections can pay massive dividends.