In praise of social workers!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I know they get a mixed bag of opinions but our social worker has done her best for us and I appreciate it. I have had lots of social services people of one kind or another around over the last year but only one actual social worker. She cottoned on straight away to what I needed as well as what John needed and when she found me buckling at the knees with responsibility for John's sister as well as for him she pestered the day centre till she got a place.

He starts next week and I cannot imagine how good it will be to get a little bit of my life back.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
So pleased for you Marionq, l have just decided that the time has come for me do do what l know l have to do, get some respite, l can not cope anymore 24/ 7, we know when the time is right. Hope all goes well for you,

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
We all have to accept we are not immortal. If the stress becomes unbearable then everyone suffers. I don't want to be mean or nasty with John but when he is driving me nuts and there is no way of getting a break from it I just want to run away.

Get a break Pamann and you will both benefit.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
The first social worker I met was abysmal.
My son was 17 before I appealed for help.
SW told him to get up off the floor, wondered why he was 'flapping his hands about, like that (then imitated my son:eek:) then said he would be missing for a while as he was off to Chamois for a fortnight's skiing.

Happily my son passed to adult care when he was 18 and I can honestly say that all of the social workers I have met have been caring, devoted individuals. The most pro-active have been the ones temporarily assigned, they have had no compunction about rocking the boat.

Only encountered one in my Mam's care, a month before she died and she too was switched on, helpful and pro-active.

They get an awful pounding on this site, some of it is justified but most is not.

Sometimes I think people have high expectations of what support the state can supply and expect if they step back the State will support to the same level that they do, unfortunately it does not.

Hopefully after the next election we will have a more sympathetic government that will link health and social care and increase, by any means, the money available to do it.

The mother of one of my disabled son's lifelong friends (my ex-husband's wife, in fact) has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer.
Her son has Down's Syndrome, he is 27.
She is having to rely on Social Services to provide her, her husband and their son with the support they need to move forward.

Agonising torture. She would be lost without hope without the help and support of her social worker.

They have to spread themselves SO thin, they have to fight to get finances approved...they are angels.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
I agree totally. Mjms social worker has been very good and a real moral support to me. The hospital team was anoher story entirely. Very rude and dismissed me completely. The best are the best though.

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
I must say that MILs SW has been great. I never feel like a nuisance if I have to ring her about anything & I try to be fair back (not asking for too much, cancelling carers visits that MIL just didn't need, she was having 4 visits day after breaking her arm, after about 8 wks I said she only needed 2 visits a day)
Everything I have requested so far I have got.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
It's so good to hear that some people at least feel they have benefitted from a social worker's efforts :) xx

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
The jury is out on our S W. What I find a problem is that she appears to have to clear things with her manager all the time. This is very frustrating as what is on offer seems great then she goes back to her manager and then things change. I am waiting for her to confirm a meeting on Friday so I can clarify her authority. I may as well meet her Manager rather than let this time wasting nonsense continue.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoriH61