In pain and in hospital

Karen22

Nov 3, 2012
My father has been in hospital for 10 days with pneumonia and MRSA. Last week when I visited he seemed as if he was improving - on intravenous antibiotics, sliding scale of insulin and fluids. This afternoon I found him in a different ward and moaning in pain (it seems) but everyone ignoring him. I asked if he had had painkillers and was told he had and they changed him and moved him in bed but he was still distressed. I can't get through now to check if a doctor has been and given him more painkillers. I was told there is only one doctor over the weekends. Is this normal and acceptable?

Karen

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Did they say what type of painkiller they had given him? The medication chart should be kept by the bed and this should record all medications and frequency. I know that's no good to you at the moment but have a look next time you visit. If the pain killers are noted on the medication chart for regular prescription then the nurses can administer these - they don't have to be dispensed by a doctor.

With regards doctor coverage at weekends, when my Mum was in hospital there was no doctor coverage at all on the elderly wards during the weekend. In case of emergency the nursing staff had to ring for the 'on-call' doctors - they took over an hour to arrive when called. I heard recently though that the nurses told the family of someone in severe pain that there were no doctors at all available and they would have to wait until Monday to get any pain relief! It's unacceptable, but at least your father's ward has one doctor available, although as you have found trying to get hold of them via phone is practically impossible. The ward sister or head nurse should be able to tell you if pain relief is being given, what type and how regularly though - you don't need to specifically speak to the doctor if the staff have already confirmed that your father is on pain relief (providing they are telling the truth!) .

I have found that trying to get effective pain relief in hospital for someone with dementia can be very difficult as the staff don't always identify when someone is in pain, or listen to family when they say that the person is in pain. The important thing if your father is in pain is that they give him suitable pain relief, establish the cause and carefully monitor him. I hope you manage to speak to someone who can let you know what's happening.

Karen22

Nov 3, 2012
Did they say what type of painkiller they had given him? The medication chart should be kept by the bed and this should record all medications and frequency. I know that's no good to you at the moment but have a look next time you visit. If the pain killers are noted on the medication chart for regular prescription then the nurses can administer these - they don't have to be dispensed by a doctor.

With regards doctor coverage at weekends, when my Mum was in hospital there was no doctor coverage at all on the elderly wards during the weekend. In case of emergency the nursing staff had to ring for the 'on-call' doctors - they took over an hour to arrive when called. I heard recently though that the nurses told the family of someone in severe pain that there were no doctors at all available and they would have to wait until Monday to get any pain relief! It's unacceptable, but at least your father's ward has one doctor available, although as you have found trying to get hold of them via phone is practically impossible. The ward sister or head nurse should be able to tell you if pain relief is being given, what type and how regularly though - you don't need to specifically speak to the doctor if the staff have already confirmed that your father is on pain relief (providing they are telling the truth!) .

I have found that trying to get effective pain relief in hospital for someone with dementia can be very difficult as the staff don't always identify when someone is in pain, or listen to family when they say that the person is in pain. The important thing if your father is in pain is that they give him suitable pain relief, establish the cause and carefully monitor him. I hope you manage to speak to someone who can let you know what's happening.
They told me that he had had paracetamol at lunchtime and so couldn't have anything else. He was in pain, I'm sure, and the only other time I've seen him like that was in the nursing home when he had refused his medications. He's usually in a wheelchair but has been in bed since he arrived in hospital and is in a room on his own which he hates as likes to be around others now. I also think that when they move him - which they must do regularly - he has pain due to his hip fracture operation last August. I heard him crying out today when they were changing and moving him. I believe that the painkillers are on an 'as and when needed' basis. He has had opioids in the past but hasn't got on well with them as they have made his dementia worse. So sad to see and I feel powerless to help. Thank you for replying to me.
Karen

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
So frustrating for you, you would think the least they can do in hospital is ensure the right pain relief is given. I assume the nurses mean that the doctor has said they can give paracetamol, but has not prescribed anything else for him yet so that is all they can give. My mother had a hip fracture (and replacement) last summer. On the day she was admitted, it took many hours for her to be given morphine - one doctor said it had already been given in A&E, then it turned out she'd been given nothing. Afterwards she was kept on paracetamol but she was still in a bit of pain, so her care home asked the GP for an alternative and she is now on codeine.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Ask them to move him to a bed in the main ward. My OH was placed in room on his own, there was one poster on the wall and all he was doing was reading it over and over again, when I explained he need to interact with others, watch what was going on and be able to say hello to the nurses as they walked by to be stimulated he was moved within 40mins. He was on that ward for 4 weeks out of his 10 week stay and TBH it was the only ward who understood his needs.
Don't be afraid to ask for more pain relief for him either, something stronger or regular doses of paracetamol. Skeleton staffing at a w/e for doctors is a regular practice in our local hospital., quite amazing really.

Karen22

Nov 3, 2012
Ask them to move him to a bed in the main ward. My OH was placed in room on his own, there was one poster on the wall and all he was doing was reading it over and over again, when I explained he need to interact with others, watch what was going on and be able to say hello to the nurses as they walked by to be stimulated he was moved within 40mins. He was on that ward for 4 weeks out of his 10 week stay and TBH it was the only ward who understood his needs.
Don't be afraid to ask for more pain relief for him either, something stronger or regular doses of paracetamol. Skeleton staffing at a w/e for doctors is a regular practice in our local hospital., quite amazing really.
He has to stay in a room on his own as has MRSA. I know he doesn't do well on his own as likes to be with others. I have asked (and will ask again) for his pain meds to be reviewed tomorrow. He did seem in less pain today but still agitated at times when awake. I wonder if he's had enough and wants to die. Does that sound weird? I hate to see him like this. He's fought for life for so long but now I think he's had enough. However, I have seen him upset when in hospital before last year and he recovered but he is more frail this time and bedbound.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951