In need of some light relief and a rant

emz_33

Oct 25, 2014
Morning all,

Mum had uti infection cleared up she is contact shouting tried everything I can think of from throwing her a ball to taking her out for a drive, nothing works spoke to mental health which my mum is under they upped anti phycotic meds been a week now. Mum needs night care had no cover over the last weekend mum was fine with me only getting up once or twice for drink and pad change. Carer been back for two nights now and she is just constant shouting with very little rest during the day. Mental health seems to think it's something called pyhcomotor agaition anyone else had experience of this, if so how long did it last for and how was it managed. I'm feeling tired frustrated, trying to contact mental helath yesterday, feel im being ignored not able to rest during the day plus I'm a carer for my sister too. Who also has ants in pants. Unfortunately respite isn't an option as mum has other complications that would make it so hard for her, plus when she's pyshotic it's vital that she's somewhere is knows. Also is anyone had any problems with carers not being able to crush prn meds as I've also looked into this and it would help a great deal but been told that they can't spoke to them all about this and they aren't confident enough to know when even when I've explained countless times. Anyone else having these issues if so please share.

Thanks for taking the time to read my rant

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Hi emz, so sorry to hear you're not getting help. What you describe sounds a nightmare.
is anyone had any problems with carers not being able to crush prn meds as I've also looked into this and it would help a great deal but been told that they can't spoke to them all about this and they aren't confident enough to know when even when I've explained countless times

Instinctively I'd have thought there could be two potential "solutions" to this problem (if you'll forgive the bad pun!). You might have already have tried both, I know, but perhaps not ....

If the problem is that your Mum won't take tablets so they have to be put into liquid, could the medication be supplied either crushed or in liquid form? The GP and Pharmacist could tell you whether there are alternatives to the tablets. As you almost certainly know, some tablets should never be crushed as they're slow release ones or are specially coated.

Would a doctor's letter authorising the carers to crush identified tablets - with the bottle / pack containing these identified tablets also carrying the same message - get over the problem? The carers will naturally be wary of following advice from a non-medic about medical matters - they'd be in deep trouble if they did. They'd be much more willing to follow the written instructions of a doctor or pharmacist.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Rivershores

Jun 10, 2015
Morning all,

Mum had uti infection cleared up she is contact shouting tried everything I can think of from throwing her a ball to taking her out for a drive, nothing works spoke to mental health which my mum is under they upped anti phycotic meds been a week now. Mum needs night care had no cover over the last weekend mum was fine with me only getting up once or twice for drink and pad change. Carer been back for two nights now and she is just constant shouting with very little rest during the day. Mental health seems to think it's something called pyhcomotor agaition anyone else had experience of this, if so how long did it last for and how was it managed. I'm feeling tired frustrated, trying to contact mental helath yesterday, feel im being ignored not able to rest during the day plus I'm a carer for my sister too. Who also has ants in pants. Unfortunately respite isn't an option as mum has other complications that would make it so hard for her, plus when she's pyshotic it's vital that she's somewhere is knows. Also is anyone had any problems with carers not being able to crush prn meds as I've also looked into this and it would help a great deal but been told that they can't spoke to them all about this and they aren't confident enough to know when even when I've explained countless times. Anyone else having these issues if so please share.

Thanks for taking the time to read my rant

Good morning emz_33, I'm afraid I can't usefully answer your questions because I haven't faced these issues but I just wanted to send you a little note of support and encouragement and say that it sounds like you are doing an amazing job. AND it didn't come across as a rant at all! Your situation sounds unbelievably stressful and I wish you every support and luck with getting assistance. I hope things ease up a bit for you and your mum and that she settles down so both you and she can have some respite. All the very best to you xx

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Shouting

Has she had her ears checked for wax?
Might be worth getting them syringed by the surgery nurse.

Bod

emz_33

Oct 25, 2014
Hi emz, so sorry to hear you're not getting help. What you describe sounds a nightmare.

Instinctively I'd have thought there could be two potential "solutions" to this problem (if you'll forgive the bad pun!). You might have already have tried both, I know, but perhaps not ....

If the problem is that your Mum won't take tablets so they have to be put into liquid, could the medication be supplied either crushed or in liquid form? The GP and Pharmacist could tell you whether there are alternatives to the tablets. As you almost certainly know, some tablets should never be crushed as they're slow release ones or are specially coated.

Would a doctor's letter authorising the carers to crush identified tablets - with the bottle / pack containing these identified tablets also carrying the same message - get over the problem? The carers will naturally be wary of following advice from a non-medic about medical matters - they'd be in deep trouble if they did. They'd be much more willing to follow the written instructions of a doctor or pharmacist.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Hi all

She's had a physical check and ears throat chest heart is all fine, it'd defo mental health issue.

I've tried to get a Dr note but Dr said that carers aren't allowed to crush. I know there is certain meds that can or can't be crushed all meds can be she is given oral dispersable they aren't allowed to gibe that according the manager at care agency. As for liquid it's only 1 prn med that I would hand over to them, I will look into liquid form but all the carers need to be willing enough to know when da the right time to give it to her. the oral dispersable was difficult enough to get..anything never seems easy. Mum can never go to respite with all her other medial problems she would be worse than when she went in. Wish I have family around to help or they are willing spoke to my aunty today just said'hope things get better' nice if she was more hands on wouldn't have all these issues.

Thank you all for all your comments at least I know I'm not completely alone.

#carerssupportingcarers

janey106

Dec 10, 2013
Just wanted to say I hope you are getting some support and time out for you. This all sounds so demanding on you. Sending positive vibes, sorry I can't offer more but sure others will.

emz_33

Oct 25, 2014
Just wanted to say I hope you are getting some support and time out for you. This all sounds so demanding on you. Sending positive vibes, sorry I can't offer more but sure others will.

Hi Jane,

Not really get the odd hr where mum's worn her self out so much she sleeps also carer for my sister who on the austic spectrum she's is with me all the time

I run the house with a strong routine if that gets broken a hella breaks loose. Thanks for your comment great appreciate it.