In need of some info

Flashie

Dec 7, 2015
My wife who is 64 has only just been diagnosised with Alzheimer's. She very quickly stopped house cleaning and her own personal hygiene, before she was house proud and keep herself good. The last twice I have had to force into the shower (which does not make me feel good) and being able to get the clothes for washing. The question I have is this common so early with dementia?

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello Flashie and welcome to Talking Point.

My husband would have been about 6 years post diagnosis when he started to get his clothes muddled up, as in which order to put them on. I had to hand them to him and help him put them on. I never had a problem with him not washing or showering and his clothes that came off at night were put straight into the laundry basket so there was no chance of them going on again.

You will find from being on the forum that we all seem to come up against the same problems but not necessarily in the same order or at the same stage as someone else. I am sure you will find the forum informative and friendly. I look forward to you joining us.

Kind regards,

Jay

eve67

Jan 23, 2015
washing and cleaning

My wife who is 64 has only just been diagnosised with Alzheimer's. She very quickly stopped house cleaning and her own personal hygiene, before she was house proud and keep herself good. The last twice I have had to force into the shower (which does not make me feel good) and being able to get the clothes for washing. The question I have is this common so early with dementia?

Not got this prob yet with my hubby but I cannot force him to do anything he doesn't want to. Have to try to encourage and cajol and am learning to be laid back about things unless of course he's doing something to endanger himself or someone

Would it help if you both get in the shower together ?
As for housework my hubby does help with washing up but never cleans things properly so I just have to do it again and not make a fuss.