In house carer.

Tardelli

Jul 5, 2020
Mum has stage 2 dementia and still lives alone. My brother and I visit daily. Mum suffers from heart failure, diabetes and various other ailments leading to a daily diet of many drugs. Our fear is a serious fall and we have suggested a live in carer. Her reaction is warmer when she doesn’t feel well, but negative at other times.
In many ways we are just delaying the inevitable however we do not want to create to extreme a change in Mums routine.
Has anyone experienced the introduction of in house care and how has it been received by your loved one with dementia.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Joe Marabese Welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

I have no experience of live in carers but I do know how changeable the decisions of people with dementia can be. It`s likely whatever your mother agrees to may not be permanent but you can only try.

Hopefully other on the forum will share any experiences they have had.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Live in care is very expensive, often more than a Care Home.
Time off, holidays illness etc has to be covered.
Ok for short term respite, but long term much more difficult.
If you are thinking of this, then consider a Care Home, full time care with a team of fresh staff, to do the careing.
Leaves you to do the nice things, visiting with flowers/chocolate, maybe even short days out.

Bod.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
If you have live in carers, consider that you will become an employer, with all that is involved- tax, NI, annual leave, sick cover, time off etc etc

It is quite complicated and often no less stressy for you.

Consider a care home as well

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
My mother-in-law was quoted £1000 a week in 2018 for live in care via an agency. Household bills and food etc on top. My mother-in-law went into a care home eventually as it was more economically viable and there's a full team looking after her

Nicola78

May 9, 2020
Certainly food for thought there. I am at present trying to work out whether to have at home care or care home but really didn't take into account the employer/employee status plus sick days etc.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
You could think about whether you actually need full time live-in care. It might work (for a while) to have a carer in twice a day. My mother managed for 18 months with a carer in from 9-1 and then an hour in the evening. The lengthy slot in the morning was to give them time to do breakfast and lunch, do laundry / housework and take her shopping or to the park. Then they returned for an hour in the evening to give her a snack and check she was okay.

There was no issue with 'being an employer', as I used a care agency. And of course no issue with sickness/holiday cover, as they would supply another carer. They tried to use the same two or three carers, so my mother knew them.

When it became apparent she needed supervision 24/7 I moved her to a care home.