In hospital

Jazzy

Jun 3, 2006
Derbyshire
Hi all

Mum has been in hospital for just over 2 weeks now and is still very agitated. No amount of medication seems to calm her down. A far as I can see she is being well cared for - I've been impressed with the staff and the care. However, last week she approached another patient who pushed her over and she sprained her hand. I've received a phone call tonight to say she was found at 6am this morning crawling around the ward. She's been checked out and is OK. I know it's difficult to watch everyone 24/7. Has anyone else had smilar experiences?

Also the care home sh'e been in for 6 weeks I think are going to say soon they want her room because they have a waiting list. They do have residents with dementia, but no one as agitated as Mum. I feel pressurised.

Just to write all this has helped. I hope it will seem better tomorrow when I'm less tired.

Jazzy

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Hi Jazzy

Sorry you're having a tough time too. It seems to me that either they keep all patients/residents strapped in their chairs/beds and don't allow them to exercise any independence ..... or they allow some freedom and accidents happen. On balance I've always felt that dad should have the freedom to move around and fall down ... within reason. I've questioned my decision recently since he had a bad fall and now isn't able to walk. But still, I think I rather he hadn't been restrained initially.

Might be worth discussing the situation with mum's care home, and thinking about potential solutions, rather than feeling pressurised and anxious.

best wishes

Áine

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
Dear Jazzy,
Last October, my Mum broke her hip and had to stay in hospital for nearly four weeks. She was so distressed that she kept trying to climb out of bed and the other patients were really concerned. She lost weight and became very confused. Her care home were very good and took her back, but couldn't cope with her because of her physical and mental state. They did try very hard, but she had several falls in hospital and she completely changed, from being a bit vague, to being helpless and very confused and disorientated.
The home recommended a local NH with EMI facilities and helped us to tranfer her, after a mental health nurse had visited and made an assessment. Mum was put into the EMI unit to start with, but the staff soon realised that although confused, she was capable of holding a lucid conversation. After two weeks she was moved to the general nursing unit and they worked really hard to keep her there, even when she cried for months before settling down.
I think Mum has finally settled, but she isn't walking even though the hip replacement operation was successful. Her rheumatoid arthritis didn't help and her
limbs are very thin and weak. There are complex medical problems, which are difficult to sort out in an eighty-one year old.
I don't think your mother's care home will take away her room while she is in hospital, at least not without consulting you and helping you to find a more suitable place to live. I've heard of many elderly people who react badly to the hospital environment, but return to normal once they return home. The hospital social workers are responsible for making sure patients will be safe at home.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
I'm glad the general care is good.

Lila

Jazzy said:
Hi all

Mum has been in hospital for just over 2 weeks now and is still very agitated. No amount of medication seems to calm her down. A far as I can see she is being well cared for - I've been impressed with the staff and the care.