In hospital, hitting staff- any experiences with Risperidone?

Lisa74

May 27, 2011
Hello,

My Granny is in hospital with a fractured bone in her back. She has been prescribed Risperidone (an anti-psychotic) due to her aggressive behaviour- does anyone have any experiences with this medication? She has heart problems and we're concerned it's causing side effects including tachycardia and agitation.

Aitchbee

Nov 3, 2013
Hi Lisa. I have no experience of Respiradone but my Mum lashed out at staff when she was admitted to hospital. Probably because she was suffering from a UTI and also because she didn't understand what was happening to her and was frightened. I would hope that your Granny has been checked for a UTI? I would discuss your concerns with the consultant (you can request an appointment to see them). I hope you can get something sorted and have your mind put at rest

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I get so annoyed when I hear anti-psychotics being described for people with dementia. They are bad for them, should only be used as a last resort and for a limited amount of time. Has she been checked out properly for any infections of other conditions that might be causing her pain? Or are they just trying to keep her sedated the convenient way?

doodle1

May 11, 2012
I'm sorry Beate to have to disagree with you.
Mum was put on Risperadone 18 months ago as she was agitated and trying to hit my dad all the time. She is on the smallest dose. It has been transformational . Please consider trying this. It has improved everyone' s quality of life
Hope this helps

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I'm sorry Beate to have to disagree with you.
Mum was put on Risperadone 18 months ago as she was agitated and trying to hit my dad all the time. She is on the smallest dose. It has been transformational . Please consider trying this. It has improved everyone' s quality of life
Hope this helps
I hope this has only been described as a last resort. Has she had a medication review since? 18 months is far too long. It should not be given for longer than six weeks. I urge you to read this: http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/s...entID=548&_ga=1.6982066.1245198244.1434099275
Side effects can be severe.

doodle1

May 11, 2012
My mum has her medication reviewed every three months. I have read the fact sheet. My mother is showing no evidence of side effects and is more responsive and engaged than previously.i would not change this for the world. Can I ask if the person you care for has ever shown any signs of violence or aggression? And Risperadone has not sedated mum at all!!

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
My husband's GP having talked to his consultant at the Cognitive Disorders Clinic has prescribed this for David. She left me an ansaphone message about this at lunchtime. I have not picked it up yet so I do not know what dose. They were talking of a very low dosage.
The day centre asked me to go to the GP as David was getting very agitated in the ambulance transport and this was not only upsetting him but other service users.
I have tried putting his headphones on in the ambulance with calmimg music, but only since last Thursday, and they report this is helping. Also, I think he is uncomfortable in his wheelchair and this is made worse by the uneven roads in our area. I have managed to get an urgent re-assessment by the wheelchair service which we are attending tomorrow pm.
As far as I can see risperidone should only be prescribed for six weeks. Can anyone tell me what happens when it is ceased at the end of this period?
I am a bit in shock that they are prescribing an antipsychotic as I had expected it to be something like Citalopram.
If he cannot attend the daycare then I will be really struggling as he is at the severe stage now. His mobility is really poor, such that he has to use a wheelchair outdoors at all times as his sense of uprightness has gone. It is a real struggle to get him in the car and he is not very happy on car journeys either. The daycare requested about three weeks ago that I send him in his wheelchair. Their ambulance has a tail-lift.
I thought we were pretty well future proofed for me keeping him at home as we have the through the floor lift in the house, which currently he uses sitting in a normal chair but if he was to become completely wheelchair bound even in the house I can manage but I had not factored in that he may be unable to attend daycare.
Tre

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
The subject of Risperidone cropped up at an Alz group today and two of the men there had been on it for many months. In both cases they had been physically aggressive and were now much calmer although not obviously sedated.

So it looks as if six weeks is on the low side.