in Canada & not sure how long I can carry on being sole caregiver.

Snooks

Mar 7, 2021
Hello all, I’ve just joined the forum. We live in Canada, and although my husband ‘s dementia is getting worse there are absolutely no care home placements available. At the moment I can cope, but I’ve already had a stroke and I’m not sure how long I can carry on being his sole caregiver. I’m a senior too, and I’m exhausted!

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Hello all, I’ve just joined the forum. We live in Canada, and although my husband ‘s dementia is getting worse there are absolutely no care home placements available. At the moment I can cope, but I’ve already had a stroke and I’m not sure how long I can carry on being his sole caregiver. I’m a senior too, and I’m exhausted!
Welcome, this forum saw me through. Do you have good medical help for you?
Warmest Kindred

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Snooks
a warm welcome to DTP

it's a tough situation you describe, no wonder you are exhausted

do talk with your own doctor about the effects all this is having on you, so they are definitely aware and may have some ideas to help

maybe have a look at this link, though maybe you have already

might you add Canada to your profile as your location as we do have other members in Canada

keep posting, we can at least offer sympathy and understanding

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP @Snooks
This is the link to the Canadian society. They should be able to help with practical support

Please keep posting as you will get lots of advice & support here.

Canada Goose

Sep 22, 2019
Hello Snooks - I'm in Canada also. I'm not sure what province are you in, but have you reached out to your local health authority? I'm in BC and the local health authority here will send someone in to assess your situation and can provide some in-home care assistance. I haven't made use of this as yet so am a bit short on details, but it may be worth your while to call them.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome @Canada Goose you'll find that this is a friendly and supportive group and there are a few other members here from Canada too.

@ Snooks I hope that the advice posted so far has been helpful to you and that you are able to access the support that you need.