In a cleft stick

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
However as Grommit has found not every LA will provide direct payments to every recipient

I know LA SS just want to do your head :rolleyes:in so you just give up on trying to get it .

Now this is a National frame work .

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/SocialCare/Socialcarereform/Personalisation/Directpayments/DH_080255

Last modified date:
19 February 2008

The duty to provide direct payments

The law has been changed so that it is a duty to make direct payments. This means that councils must make a direct payment to eligible individuals who are able to provide consent. Direct payments should be discussed as a first option at each assessment and each review.

The latest community care statistics indicate that the changes are having a positive effect. From 1 April 2005 to 31 March 2006, 37,000 adults received direct payments during the year, a rise of over 50 per cent from 24,000 in 2004-05. This figure does not include children or carers.

And that says it all that must be what Grommit SW is picking up on . as it says
to eligible individuals who are able to provide consent.

Whiskas

Oct 17, 2006
Corby
I cannot find anything which indicates whether aDirect Payment is means tested or not.

Does anyone know the answer to that?

Best wishes Jan

Hi Mum gets Direct payments and we have to make a contribution to it. So yes they are means tested just like any service you receive from SS. Mum has 2 days at the day centre and 6 hours Direct payments, the contribution we make goes into the account we had to set up just for the Direct Payments. I think we would have to make the same contribution even if she was having agency carers arranged by SS.

She has recently had a review of her Care package and I am hoping for an increase in hours. I don't think our contribution will increase at least I hope not :eek::eek: Will let you know!!!

Hope that helps!
Cathyx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
What an apt abbreviation - SS!!! - judging from some posts where the SS have acted cruelly and arbitrarily.

When Ken and I received direct payments from the SS we were financially assessed. The person came to our house and was very helpful in asking me general things which he could include in his assessment. He included in our weekly cost such things as incontinence pads etc., which I would never have thought to mention.

xxTinaT

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello:

I am happy to accept fair charging, but not means testing!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I just wish they would make it clear when visiting what they are about (they??? - social services I suppose).
As yet it has not been made clear to me who our Social Worker is, what we can expect 'free of charge' and what is 'means' tested - why cannot these folk be straight forward????:confused::confused:

(Oh heck Grommit did you expect such reaction from your post?) :mad::mad:

Love Jan

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Hi Mum gets Direct payments and we have to make a contribution to it. So yes they are means tested just like any service you receive from SS. Mum has 2 days at the day centre and 6 hours Direct payments,

Sorry I am confusing every one, I was referring to the direct payment that carer get for themselves in they carer assessment .

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CaringForSomeone/MoneyMatters/DG_10018517

What are direct payments for?

Direct payments can be used to buy services from an organisation or employ somebody to provide assistance. As a carer, you can use a direct payment to purchase the services you are assessed as needing to support you in your caring role. This includes support that may help maintain your health and well-being. For example, driving lessons or a holiday so you can have time to yourself.

If you are assessed as needing domestic help, you may ask for a direct payment and buy the support services you need.

Direct payments - arranging care and services - is not the same as Direct Payment - pensions and benefits paid directly into an account.

What you cannot use direct payments for

You cannot use direct payments to buy services for the person you care for. They can only be spent on getting the support you, as a carer, have been assessed as needing.

You also cannot use direct payments to secure a service from your spouse or civil partner, close relatives or anyone who lives in the same household as you, unless that person is someone who you have specifically recruited to be a live-in employee. There can be exceptional circumstances, which your council may agree with you.

Its that one that is not mean tested .

I phone duty social worker & spoke to to him about it he says that its a none taxable money given to US the carer of £40 pounds a week , its got nothing to do with carer allowance .

Then he tell me that mum has been allocated a permanent social worker , so he passes me over to her where she sounds very confused not understanding what I am on about:rolleyes:, but tell me on the book appointment she made for Next Friday we can talk about it . so am going to get my UBS memory stick cope it into that print it all out, as my photo copy has broken down .

shall let you all know how I get on

PS may be I am reading it wrong , so if anyone else has more clarity on this please enlighten me.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunsetAnglia