1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

In a better place thanks to this forum

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Ozzy71, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Ozzy71

Ozzy71 Registered User

Nov 23, 2015
    Hi
    I've posted a couple of verbose and very anxious messages on here over the past month and received some very helpful advice.
    Dad has developed severe memory problems brought about by a stroke and prior mini strokes. aling with pneumonia and what we now know was a UTI.
    After a long time in hospital which was a nightmare followed by a very positive, helpful and constructive week in an assessment facility dad is home. I'm managing to stay over to help mum a few days a week as are my brothers and wider family are all chipping in with support, visits, trips etc. we've got day support for mum in the pipeline.
    Our biggest concern was night time - we've had one sleepless night and one night of 8 HOURS sleep after reading suggestions on here, putting them in place and contacting his O.T and getting help with a small physical problem.
    I know this forum is great for advice and support but it is also a place of inspiration. In our few weeks walking this road the future has seemed bleak and although i know it will be tricky and really hard - we have some hope that there can and will be some great moments too.
    Thanks so much to all the great people with dementia and those caring for them who have challenged us through their posting to believe we can all stick in together and get through it and do our best for Dad.

Best wishes to all. X

2. marionq

marionq Registered User

Apr 24, 2013
    Female
    Scotland
    What a marvellous post! We have a lot of down moments in here so it's so good to hear that someone feels positive.

Many good wishes.

3. Candlelight 67

Candlelight 67 Registered User

Nov 4, 2013
    West Sussex
    Well said. I hope things continue to improve and you reach a nice safe plateau.

4. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    I'm so glad the meeting went well. I hope things run smoothly as possible now.

5. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    So pleased that things are working out. It is a bumpy road but all here to support the good and the bad times xxxxxx